The Willow Ptarmigan

My grandfather once told me that the beauty of all mankind could be found nestled in the Alaskan frontier. He would speak of its great mountains, spectacular glaciers, and birds. My grandpa loved all types of wildlife, but he always had a keen interest in birds. He used to say it was something about their delicate nature, the way they fluttered their wings. It captured his earnest curiosity. I remember sitting with him on the porch for hours, binoculars in hand, trying to catch a glimpse of another rare beauty. Bird watching has been his favorite hobby for years. He has been all over the country, chasing seasonal flocks with his trusty bird-watching handbook. There is no doubt that he has seen hundreds of birds, but none will ever match up to those he found in my birthplace– Alaska.

See the source image

Alaska is stunning. Many believe that the region is a frozen wasteland. They are not wise enough to look beyond the temperature and onto the spectacular natural wonders that are hidden from public eye. Alaska is home to a variety of animals that differ from the rest of the United States. One little bird that exemplifies Alaskan natural beauty is the Willow Ptarmigan.

Molting willow ptarmigan

(Photo by statesymbolsusa.org)

The Willow Ptarmigan is the Alaskan state bird. According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the state bird selection was made in 1955 by a group of school children. It was later finalized as the state bird in 1960 when the Alaskan territory became a real state.

State Symbols USA points out that the Willow Ptarmigan is one of three types of arctic grouse that reside in Alaska. The birds most interesting feature would be its feathers adapting to the changes of seasons. When the temperature begins to drop, the Willow Ptarmigan’s feathers turn from brown to white. This helps the bird camouflage with its surroundings.

This bird can be found all throughout Alaska, and well into Canada, Russia, and Scandinavia. Its diet mainly ranges from willow buds to caterpillars. Since the Willow Ptarmigan is very sociable, it migrates in large groups.

These traits about Willow Ptarmigans are great, but they are not why my grandfather loved the bird. He didn’t care about its diet or migration patterns. If I remember correctly, he told me he really liked this bird because it was so round. I believe he referred to it as a round, little ball. Regardless of the reasons behind loving a bird, it’s agreed that the Willow Ptarmigan is a beauty. That is: an Alaskan beauty.