Montana

For this post, I’ll be discussing another one of my favorite western states.  Though I haven’t driven through the entirety of Montana, the parts that I have seen have been some of my favorite landscapes I have visited.

DSC_0472Montana is often called “Big Sky country”, and it is certainly aptly named.  Many of the massive sweeping views of the horizon leave you feeling like the sky is truly, well, massive.  Much of eastern Montana is similar to the great plains of the Midwest.  Ranches and grain farms dot the eastern side of the state, and are the primary source for the state’s economy.  Much of this land seems incredibly wide open.  I personally remember driving along the highway and being amazed that the speed limit during the day is nonexistent!!  It truly was like being in a different world there.statelin

As you work to the Western side of the state, you will begin to see the beautiful mountains Montana is known for.  The heart of the Rocky Mountains cover this area.  Surprisingly, this mountainous area is also where you will find the majority of the population in Montana.  Cities like Billings, Missoula, Helena, and Great Falls are the largest in the state.  Also in this area is where the majority of tourism for Montana occurs.  When I visited, I stayed for a few days at Big Sky resort, a great place for hiking and mountain biking during the summer.

Hidden Lake, Glacier National Park, MontanaIf you drive to the very Northern section of the state, you will find one of the more secluded and beautiful National Parks in our country.  Located on the border to Canada, Glacier National Park is one of the best examples of mountain ranges and valleys carved by prehistoric glaciers.  Some of these glaciers are still active today, meaning the park is ever changing and evolving.