Young Royals Supremacy

Young Royals (2021)

Hey! Welcome to Queeries! I’m happy to have you back, and I hope you stay a little while for some new queer content. You’re always welcome here!

Since last week’s post was quite serious and personal, I want to do another gay TV show recommendation this week. And let me tell you, this is a really good one.

Young Royals is just an immaculately gay show that came out on Netflix in 2021 with only six episodes so far. I may have just watched it for the third time over the course of the last week or so, and I may be debating rewatching it again very soon. I almost forgot to mention, but this show is in Swedish. I love watching a good show in another language and reading the English subtitles. Hopefully that doesn’t deter you from checking this show out for yourself.

Young Royals' Ending Explained: Prince Wilhelm and Simon's sex tape is dangerous for monarchy | MEAWW

The first time I watched Young Royals was with two friends from highschool, who are also queer in some way. They had already seen it, but then wanted to introduce me to this masterpiece of a show. I think we ended up watching the whole thing over the course of 2 nights. (Pro tip: If you are breaking it up into two watch sessions, I was informed that it’s best to split up the show with episodes 1-4 one night and 5-6 the next.) It was just so good, which is probably obvious to you by now.

Let me give you a bit of an introduction to the characters and plot of Young Royals, without giving any major spoilers. The show mainly centers around Prince Wilhelm (Wille) of the Swedish royal family. He begins attending Hillerska, an elite boarding school with many other nobles. This is where he meets a non-boarder named Simon, whom he finds himself attracted to, despite initially being in denial about it. The plot follows Wilhelm and Simon’s budding romance as Wilhelm comes to figure out his identity and accept himself, while he also struggles with the constant public gaze and expectations of him that come with being a member of the royal family.

Review: Young Royals | Redbrick TV

If you have read Red, White, and Royal Blue, I’ve heard that the two are somewhat similar in concept, so if you enjoy one, you’ll probably enjoy the other as well. Since I love Young Royals, I’ve been meaning to read this book too, but I haven’t gotten around to it just yet. I am determined to finally read it soon!

That brings us to the end of this week’s post. I hope you enjoyed the more lighthearted content. If you’re interested, perhaps you’ll even check out the show for yourself! I can’t recommend it enough. It’s so good, and so gay, which we definitely don’t get enough of in media. And it’s the good kind of gay representation, where the gay characters just exist without being seen as totally different from the rest. And their development and stories are about so much more than them being gay.

Young Royals” star participates in “Melodifestivalen” – VG

The good news about this show recommendation (unlike Genera+ion… cry) is that a second season is confirmed to be coming out on Netflix in July of this year. I’m incredibly excited to say the least. I can’t wait to see where the new season will take us.

As always, I love you very much! Keep living unapologetically as your authentic self! And go watch some queer shows! :]

With love,
PJ <3

Photo Credits:

Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4