Offshore Drilling: The New Wave of Environmentally Hazardous Policy

In 2010, an explosion on a BP oil rig lead to eleven deaths and one of the most devastating environmental disasters that the United States has ever seen. The Deepwater Horizon oil spill dumped millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, affecting wildlife, coral ecosystems, and local economies and forever staining British Petroleum’s reputation as the “environmentally friendly” oil powerhouse.

“Waves of Oil: Black Tide Intrudes Along Alabama Beaches.”

“Spill Still Growing.”

“Oil Leak, Biggest Ever”

The ominous rhetoric documenting this environmental tragedy invaded headlines from all media outlets. Oil soaked birds, fish belly up on the ocean’s surface, blue waters tainted black—these images floated across news covers and television screens for months after the initial explosion.

Bird Coated in Oil as a result of the BP Oil Spill (Source: info tube.net)

A Pew Research study conducted one year after the spill found that public support for drilling fell from 63% in February 2010 to 44% by June 2010 (see here). Americans saw this devastation. Public opinion about the value of offshore oil drilling changed.

But perceptions of oil drilling as a potentially environmentally hazardous and economically costly practice were as fleeting as a retreating ocean tide. Less than a year after the crisis, 57% of the public supported more oil and gas drilling in US waters.

As of January 2018, according to Rasmussen reports, 43% of likely US voters think offshore oil drilling should be allowed, while 40% do not. 17% are still undecided about the issue (see here).

Public opinion of oil drilling is particularly important now, as President Donald Trump announced in early January 2018 that almost all United States coastal waters would be opened for offshore oil and gas drilling. President Trump plans to remove Obama’s five-year offshore drilling plan, which blocked large areas in the Artic and Atlantic from being drilled. The tight regulations on offshore oil drilling implemented under the Obama administration are now being loosened—safety requirements and monitoring systems for spill containment are no longer requirements.

Obama in Alaska 2016 (Source: RollingStone)

America is in a time of great change. Under the Obama administration, decisions were made with environmental protection and conservation in mind—from clean energy investment to the Renewable Fuel standard to the Clean Power Plan.

However, the current administration often pushes aside environmental concerns when making policy decisions. Instead the economy, the potential for job creation, and big oil interests are the focus at the expense of ecosystems and wildlife across the country. These current policies are dangerous to the economy, the environment, and to future generations that will inhabit this planet.

Trump visiting an oil refinery in North Dakota 2017 (Source: Trump Tube TV)

Economically, offshore oil drilling is problematic to the tourism industry in many states. Republican governor from Florida, Rick Scott, has opposed Donald Trump’s plan and has attempted to seek exemption from the policy. Scott stated, “For Florida, we have to remember we are a tourism state. One out of every six jobs in our state is tied to tourism. So, I oppose offshore drilling.” Scott is not the only Republican to oppose Donald Trump’s plan—South Carolina’s republican governor and Georgia’s republican governor both are concerned about drilling’s effects on tourism in their coastal regions. (Talks of Trump’s Secretary of the Interior, Ryan Zinke, making exceptions for certain states under Republican leadership shows the inherent hypocrisy and favoritism of current White House administration—but I guess I’ll save that for a different post. Read more here).

Personally, economics aside, I see the opening of US shorelines and the deregulation of oil drilling as a step backwards. It emphasizes a shift in America from investment in clean energy back to focusing on the more environmentally taxing energy sources of an old era.

Environmentally, the process of oil drilling can be risky. While new technology and monitoring devices have eliminated some of the environmental hazards associated with oil drilling, the practice still has the potential to cause ecological damage. Scientists have found that drilling causes seismic disruptions that can affect nearby organisms and habitats. One research study found a correlation between seismic noise and an increase in the number of beached whales. In addition, with a greater number of offshore drilling sites—as would be expected under Trump’s new policy—comes a greater risk for spillage. Oil spills affect all organisms inhabiting the ecosystem—sea turtles, otters, fish and seagulls. Coral reefs become toxic. Mangroves are poisoned. The environmental effects of an oil spill are costly and potentially irreversible.

In my mind, the opening of US coastline is emblematic of American refocusing its efforts on a toxic (…and dying) energy source. Oil becomes a double threat—the act of drilling it is environmentally taxing and when we burn petroleum, we contribute to the buildup of greenhouse gases in our atmosphere. Why can’t we refocus our energies and resources on wind and solar power—alternative energies that are healthier for the environment and have the same potential for job creation?

As a self-proclaimed environmentalist, I am disappointed by the current decisions in favor of increased offshore oil drilling. The policies show neglect for the environment—for the unique wildlife and beautiful ecosystems across the country—and disrespect for future generations that will inhabit this planet.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this issue, and if you are interested in reading more or seeing references for this post, click some of the topics below…

4 thoughts on “Offshore Drilling: The New Wave of Environmentally Hazardous Policy

1. This was so good Piper!! I loved in the beginning when you included three different headlines about the oil spill, because it emphasized just how bad it was. The description of how people’s perception about off-shore drilling changed a year after the oil spill was spot on because this is a major issue. People care about certain policy changes in the moment, but after the moment passes they couldn’t care less. You incorporated so many strong facts and statistics in your blog, making it really strong and your argument very compelling. I’m excited to see what you post next!

2. What a great post! My civic issue is extremely similar to yours, dealing with environmental policy and how its changing and all that. First of all, your formatting is wonderful and very easy to read. You include many sources to back up the points that you make, which only reinforces the ideas that you are stating. Even the pictures that you chose to include strengthen the ideas presented in your blog. I agree that it feels like we are taking a step backward by ignoring previous policies put into place simply to mine/drill for more resources.

3. Piper, I continue to enjoy all your pieces on the environment and problems that are going on in our world. Since I am so unaware of everything happening it is a great way for me to somewhat become “in the know”. Another thing that sets your writing apart from others is how passionate you are about it which because clear through your blogs. The headlines about the oil spill catch the readers attention and you do a good job of bringing us in and making the reader see how severe the problem truly was. Good job!

4. Hey piper, I found this entry to be very enlightening. Trumps plan that supports non renewable resources has been widely scrutnized, but i have not seen that much explenation of this bill from the media. I think you can take this topic further by writing about how exactly trumps new bills concerning the environemt affect the economy -supporting major coprorations- while putting the environment at risk. Trump still has a lot of time in his presidency and i feel like this wont be the last of the bills he will pass similar to this one. On another note, I like how you compared him to the obama administration’s efforts to support renewable energy. Comparing Trumps efforts to recent, or past administrations could be interesting as well and will put into scope how much this admistration is supporting major corporations. Also, the part about state senators opinions on this new bill really showed the convreversy there is surrounding this issue and can open up a whole new topic: which states are doing the for a sustainable future. All in all your topic and the focus on legislation makes for a good read. I look forward to hearing more.