Caffeine and Memory

Memory consolidation is “the process in which experiences or information that has entered the memory system becomes strengthened and resistant to interference caused by other events or trauma” (Goldstein, 2011). I also wondered about what effects memory consolidation and retention, as well as how to improve it. A new study suggests that caffeine can “sharpen” our memory, increase our awareness, as well as boost our long-term memory (Gatlin, 2014). This study is one of the first of its kind to determine the effects of caffeine on memory.

John Hopkins University researchers conducted a double-blind trial that had participants take either a 200mg caffeine pill (equivalent to a cup of coffee) or received a placebo pill. When consumed shortly after a learning session, it was found it enhanced image recognition and recall. At the learning session participants were shown several images. The following day participants were showed the images from the previous day, as well as new images. John Hopkins researchers wanted to test pattern separation, which if the brain’s ability to differentiate similar images. Pattern separation is also an indicator of long-term memory retention.

The participants who took the caffeine dosage during the “learning session” were able to recognize the images more successfully, than those who were given the placebo. Dr. Michael Yassa, University of California, Irvine, said, “Caffeine enhanced consolidation of long-term memories” (Gatlin, 2014). On the other hand, high doses of caffeine can have negative effects: such as headaches, nausea, increased heart rate and blood pressure, and you don’t get the benefits of memory enhancement! The ideal dosage of caffeine to experience memory benefits is about 200 mg of caffeine (Gatlin, 2014).

Memory consolidation begins on the synaptic level, which is where the brain creates new pathways for information (Goldstein, 2011). The “neural map” can take days, weeks, months or years to be made, and also allows for memories to be retrieved when needed. The entire process of memory recognition helps to strengthen information in the long-term memory” (Goldstein, 2011). Coffee helps to enhance and speed up this process.

While reading this article a few days ago I enjoyed a cup of coffee. I think that I retained the information much better because I was alert and focused, which in turn improved my memory consolidation. According to the FDA, about 80% of Americans consume 200mg, or one cup of coffee, per day, which is the same amount as this study (Borota, Murray, Keceli, Chang, Watabe, Ly, Toscano & Yassa, 2014). Now we have an excuse to drink more coffee.

Borota, D., Murray, E., Keceli, G., Chang, A., Watabe, J., Ly, M., Toscano, J., & Yassa, M. (2014). Post-study caffeine administration enhances memory consolidation in humans. Nature Publishing Group, 17(2), 201-203. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nn.3623

Gatlin, L. (2014, January 12). Caffeine has positive effect on memory, johns hopkins researchers say. Retrieved from http://hub.jhu.edu/2014/01/12/caffeine-enhances-memory

Goldstein, E. B., (2011). Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research, And Everyday Experience   (3rd ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning. (Original work published 2005)

5 thoughts on “Caffeine and Memory

1. Jana Lynn Burbage Post author

I went through a phase when I would drink coffee about 6 to 8 times a day. Of course it gave me energy, but I did not notice that it also helped with my long-term memory. I would assume that drinking a few cups of coffee would give me energy to perform tasks a lot easier, rather than being tired in a classroom and not being able to focus as well as I normally would with the coffee. I have noticed when I first started drinking it I became more alert and focused better on a task. A classroom activity is where it would help me the most. There has to be a good balance of drinking enough to help with focus and too much, that in my case, makes me so hyper that I am no help to anyone, especially myself. To gain and retain information 200 milligrams of coffee does not help. I always thought that drinking coffee would not help me with long-term information at all. I always thought it just gave me a boost of energy and did not go much further than that. This gives me a whole new perspective on coffee and how it can assist you more than you would think. Coffee helps with focus and but after a while I do feel a crash. This means I either drink more, get a pop, or just stabilize myself back to normal.

2. Jana Lynn Burbage Post author

Coffee and long=term memory

I went through a phase when I would drink coffee about 6 to 8 times a day. Of course it gave me energy, but I did not notice that it also helped with my long-term memory. I would assume that drinking a few cups of coffee would give me energy to perform tasks a lot easier, rather than being tired in a classroom and not being able to focus as well as I normally would with the coffee. I have noticed when I first started drinking it I became more alert and focused better on a task. A classroom activity is where it would help me the most. There has to be a good balance of drinking enough to help with focus and too much, that in my case, makes me so hyper that I am no help to anyone, especially myself. With the information that drinking 200 mlg of coffee stating it does not assist with helping to gain and retain information. I always thought that drinking coffee would not help me with long-term information at all. I always thought it just gave me a boost of energy and did not go much further than that. This gives me a whole new perspective on coffee and how it can assist you more than you would think. Coffee helps with focus and but after a while I do feel a crash. This means I either drink more, get a pop, or just stabilize myself back to normal.

3. mms5257

I enjoyed reading your post, I did not realize caffeine has effects on long term memory. Your post has caused me to reevaluate the decision I made to not consume coffee. It does make a lot of sense because when you consume coffee you are more alert and able to concentrate. In turn caffeine will cause you to retain more information. Caffeine has been known to be a cognitive enhancer, so in a sense the more alert you are, the more information you can process and retain. The only thing I found a bit weird was that if a person consumed less than 200 mg they did not show improvement. However when people consumed 300 mg their progress had no change. I would have thought the more you consume your concentration and alertness would increase. The other fact I noticed the focus and attentiveness is immediate, and after an hour there is no improvement.

Honor Whiteman, Caffeine may boost long term memory. MNT, 13 January 2014. Web 12 August 2014.

4. dlv5050

While reading through your post I was hoping to find that maybe I wasn’t drinking enough coffee to see the effects I so dream of having. The benefits of caffeine have for so long been in debate (like so many things), that it seems to change everyday and with every new study. Coming from a military career my relationship with coffee is long standing and very dear to me, so I truly read your post with anticipation. My memory with age, a busy schedule, and four children has become non-existent. Sadly, the information you provided was not what I was looking for, in that I consume to much which is then detrimental. My consumption of caffeine definitely exceeds the recommended 200mg a day. What I did find interesting, was a comment made to the article referenced about the John Hopkins study. The comment talked about how stimulants have been found to improve focus, and as we have learned from our course work that we process information better when we focus on it. This seemed to also support your point, that a little coffee can indeed help you retain information.

5. Nathan James Kistler

As a daily coffee drinker myself, I found it very interesting that caffeine can boost the long-term memory. I am fascinated by the fact that people can take incoming information from the short-term memory, which hold between four and nine items for only half a minute, and constantly transfer this new information into the long-term memory, which can consist of one’s entire lifespan as well as innumerable other facts. Our ability to continually encode vast amounts of information, retain it, and have it at our disposal is astounding. I wonder if humans will one day devise a method (perhaps surgical, behavioral, or chemical) that could enhance the volume of information able to be stored in the long-term memory and increase the rate at which it is transferred from the short-term memory. Theoretically, if everything that entered our sensory and short-term memories could be instantly and permanently available for retrieval, we would all have flawless photographic memories, could obtain perfect scores on any test, and would have a massive encyclopedic warehouse of information available to our consciousness when making decisions or synthesizing ideas. A deeper, more thorough understanding of the processes involved in how information is transferred to and stored in the LTM could facilitate a situation in which cognitive explosions akin to those experienced by toddlers become the norm throughout the lifespan. I love that our magical morning elixir draws us ever nearer this attractive prospect.