Self Critique on TED Talk

Here is a link to my TED Talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxn2PnoN_c4&feature=youtu.be

I like to end on a good note, so I am going to start my critique of my TED talk by analyzing my weaknesses and finish by ending with my strengths.

Weaknesses:  The most prevalent flaw of my TED talk lied in the purpose of my TED talk.  My speech centered on a trend,, which I viewed as annoying, in the shows of television networks, but I never fully addressed the explanation of the trend.  Also, the TED talk did not have a clear goal.  Personally, I wanted the TED talk to encourage people to watch the educational shows on the nonfiction TV networks.  However, I cannot impinge my interests on other people.  In fact, after my speech, one of the audience members admitted to liking the shows I had written off as less educational.  My TED talk simply expressed my frustration with the content of the television programs on the three different networks.

Regarding my delivery and presentation, I wish that the TV schedule pictures had bigger font so everyone could have seen them better.  Also, I didn’t realize how fast I talked throughout the speech.  Practicing the speech, I knew I had to talk at a brisk pace to stay under five minutes, but during my speech, my nerves caused me to speed up so much so that I was one minute under five minutes.  Another area of delivery I woud like to improve is my hand gestures.  With the clicker in my hand, I tended to keep my hands in a fixed position , holding the clicker.  Next speech I give, I plan on freeing up my hands more.  Overall, my visuals and talking pace could use some improvement.

Strengths:  Personally, despite my quick speaking pace during the TED talk, I think I seemed comfortable.  My tone of voice was suitable.  I think I managed a perfect level of conversational tone and formal tone. Despite the smallness of the text on my visuals, I think I chose very appropriate pictures that conveyed my message well.

Overall:  I would like to improve my gestures and talking pace.  Next time, I will emphasize the relevancy of my topic to the audience.  Despite these areas of improvement, I am pleased with my comfortable presence speaking in front of the audience.