Bucket List #9: Grand Canyon Adventures

For those of you who do not know, I am currently in the process of pledging a fraternity. As part of this, one of the requirements is that we interview all the brothers in the house (78 in our case) to get to know them better. One of my questions for this interview is “What is the number one item on your bucket list?” This has been inspiration to a few of my blogs this year, and this one specifically. The last answer I instantly added to my bucket list: White water rafting through the Grand Canyon.

1-jpgNow a large part of the reason this is on my bucket list is simply because I want to go the the Grand Canyon. Well technically, I have been there once before, but I was too young to remember any of it. While there, I would love to take a helicopter tour, walk on the skywalk, and of course, white water raft!

As mentioned in my blog about Hawaii, I had the opportunity once before to take a helicopter tour, and it was absolutely unreal. There are a variety of airports in the vicinity of the Grand Canyon that offer tours, the most convent one would most likely be from Las Vegas. These tours generally last 3-5 hours and const around $400. While this is certainly pricey, the experience would certainly be worth it. Additionally, as part of this you get a champagne lunch and the helicopter will fly down and land on the bottom of the canyon, 4,000 feet below the rim of the canyon. The tour will also fly you over the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon Skywalk.

Which leads me to my second adventure in the Grand Canyon. For those of you that do not know the skywalk was built in 2007, and is a glass walkway that extends nearly 100feet over the edge of the grand canyon, with no other supports. Not only is the skywalk an engineering marvel, but it is also a magnificent sight. Additionally, it allows you to be suspended out over the middle of the grand canyon with a 360 degree view of it. In the near future, they are also planning in adding a museum, movie theater, a VIP lounge, and many high end restaurants to accompany the skywalk.

pic6Lastly on my trip full of adventures is where this idea all spurred from, white water rafting in the Grand Canyon. Now I have never even been white water rafting, let alone doing it at such an incredible location. Many companies offer white water rafting tours, that range from a couple hours to a few days in the canyon. If your are willing, you can do the entire canyon in anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks. If you’re not interesting in paddling that entire way, you can also go on motorized rafting tours. Anyways, I believe an experience like this is certainly worthy of the bucket list as it combines the outdoors and adventure with the awe-inspiring views of the Grand Canyon.

2 thoughts on “Bucket List #9: Grand Canyon Adventures

1. mzm5728

Hey, if you don’t know what parkour is, you should check it out. It’s not a thrill-seeking activity exactly like the ones you want to do (though many popular youtube videos display it like that), but I think you’d find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPi5ps76PZQ#t=63

Parkour is really just a way of training your body; it doesn’t have to involve ridiculous flips or building-jumping like people often think it does.

2. Liz Gong

I have never personally been to the Grand Canyon, but after reading your post, I definitely want to go! I think it would be so amazing to be able to walk on the sky walk. I can’t even imagine how breathtaking the view would be. I think the idea of adding a movie theater, VIP lounge, and museum may help to attract more tourist, but I feel like that will take away from the beauty of the natural landscape. But that’s just my opinion.