It’s a Good Thing My Feet Don’t Stink

Though I primarily work as a swim instructor at MarTar Swim School, I also act as a camp counselor on certain days when the children have off school and the swim school hosts a day camp. My face would always light up when I saw *Collin’s name on the sign-in list in the morning because I knew I would be leaving work that day with fully massaged feet.

For whatever reason, Collin absolutely loves feet. It may actually extend beyond love – I’d dare to say he’s quite obsessed with them. I would always wear flip flops to work, and as soon as I would walk in the door to the camp room, his eyes would immediately lock onto my feet. He wasted no time in running over, grabbing my hand, and telling me to “sit back, please”. I always had the easiest job of all the camp staff – I could just lay on my stomach for hours while Collin sat on my legs and played with my feet.

Somewhat strange, I know. But behaviors and obsessions like Collin’s are very common to children with autism spectrum disorders. They offer the children a form of enjoyment and often a way of coping with stress and discomfort in their lives. In some instances, these kind of behaviors are encouraged because they serve as not only a coping mechanism for the individual but also as a reward. However, they are not always encouraged because certain behaviors may be acceptable at a young age but are not socially acceptable as an adolescent or adult.

In Collin’s case, his obsession with feet seems adorable to everyone he encounters. We actually encourage this behavior as staff because it keeps him occupied and draws his focus away from causing trouble or disrupting the other campers. However, this is probably not the best way to handle the situation. If we continue to encourage this behavior as he grows older, he will not understand that it is not acceptable in all situations and it will be extremely difficult for him to move away from those behaviors as he enters into adolescence. Ideally, we would need to find another activity that could hold his attention and entertain him that would be acceptable to continue or build upon as he grows up… I suppose I’m willing to sacrifice my foot masseuse in order to do so.

*Name changed for privacy reasons.

Supplemental Source: http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/understanding-behaviour/obsessions-repetitive-behaviours-and-routines.aspx