Special Brown Bag lunch talk: Africa’s place at the global table: celebrating Africa’s cuisines – Fran Osseo-Asare

Not sure why, but I’m always confused about whether these types of functions are going to involve food. I had lunch, but it wasn’t necessary since Fran made traditional food for us. Fran is an American who married an African man from Ghana. Here is a link to her food site: http://betumiblog.blogspot.com/.

There was so much going on at the session that is hard for me to talk about just one thing with any clarity. The one thing that I know is that I had some food that was new and different. I feel like this experience really began in Summer of 2010 when I was in Madison, WI. One of my colleagues at World Campus, Penny Ralston-Berg encouraged us to try an Ethiopian restaurant. For as many cultural experiences that I’ve had, Ethiopian was something that I had never tried before. I found the food delicious, and it was also very healthy with a strong vegetarian influence.

Today during the talk by Fran, I got a greater sense of Africa and it’s complexities. It is such a large area that has been so under represented for so long that many, like me, have not taken the time and put in the effort to learn more.

Quote: Paraphased “[Refering to foreigners visiting Ghana] They have their eyes wide open and see nothing.”
Reflection: This is such a strong statement to me. And one that requires contemplation. This applies to much more than just Africa, but to those that are around us. How do we quiet our inner voice enough and shut off our own biases long enough to really see things as they are?”

Point made by Fran’s Ghanaian Husband: The reason that African food still remain less popular than many ethnic foods is the lack of a strong political presence there.
Reflection: I’m not sure when things will really start to change here. But if you look around the world you can see the strength of this statement. Fran used the example of Japan. For many years, no one was interested in Japan, and it’s culture. Once they began to have a stronger economy and show more global presence, many became more interested in the food and culture. I look forward to a world where Africa has a stronger presence.

Thoughts on the food to sample: My favorite part of the discussion is that we had the opportunity to try some African food. There was chicken, plantains, and some other foods that I’m not familiar with. There was even a punch that was very delicious. At the end of the meal, I sampled some coffee that included some spices, including cloves.

As I left this opportunity, I was thinking about incredible it is to work for Penn State where you never know the types of gatherings that you may have the chance to participate in. This was a great opportunity for me.