Blog on White

After a crazy week last week, I’m off to getting caught up in my mind. It’s not that I’m backed up on tasks, but I definitely feel a bit uneasy about how so many ideas are jumping around my brain that need to be considered so that I can move on with clarity. Here are my reflections on Clark’s blog on White

Quote: What is education for? This key question still elicits puzzled looks, ill-formed answers, even platitudes, from students, parents, policy makers and even learning professionals.”
Reflection: I’m not even going to try to answer this because it’s more of a catalyst to consider than a question to be answered. This question is becoming more & more important as costs for higher ed rise with less assistance available to pay for it. Couple less help with free or low-cost options to learn & grow continuing to crop up, it’s time for higher ed to consider its role in the future to ensure that it is can continue to be a part of the story for future generations. Could there really be a time when students don’t go to college & can get jobs?

Quote: How should we define education in a more liberal, complex, fragmented and technological world?
Reflection: I think that ultimately this is a question that will be answered by students who see beyond what & how they are being taught enough to help the next generation of learners who to operate differently. This won’t be an easy job and requires a breaking down of the current infrastructure to work. Too much of society now is about being busy. This business only leads to overlooking what needs to be addressed and continuing the same path that leads to the same outcomes.

Quote: Always wary of unreflective existence, a theme going back to the Greeks, he is keen to encourage a reflective form of autonomy that is in line with our responsibilities to ourselves and others.
Reflection: It’s good to balance choice with the needs of others to be sure to improve society, instead of allowing individuals to trample on one another with their desires. I can definitely see how consumerism is driving higher ed. This is one of the problems that we have right now. Too many business-focused individuals are driving higher ed. These individuals are making decisions and driving higher ed in a direction that will benefit them over the learner.

Quote: In Beyond the National Curriculum he had attacked the narrow, prescriptive definition of a curriculum, based not on evidence but the personal prejudices of politicians
Reflection: I’m right with him here. As I was reminded last week, there are too many both in politics & education who see school as a time to fill than actually helping motivate the learner to become more through learning. When I hear things like, “Will we have enough for later?”, it tells me that the philosophy of the educator is to fill time rather than really teach. 

Quote: We must educate for the ability to cope with the changes that the future will bring.
Reflection: Ultimately, I’m not sure that those who educate come with the skills to teach this because they have been indoctrinated and operate well within an old system that does not consider how to adapt. When I taught math, the subject was very static. This type of environment does not allow for the type of teaching and learning that allows for students to adapt & grow.
Finding myself being a bit critical here about our current system. I think this much because of the experiences of last week, an open course that I’m taking on teaching math, & some of the conversations that I’ve had with students lately. Hoping to implement a few things when I teach again to help me work through some of these thoughts so that I can affect change within my sphere.