AR vs. VR

ROB PEELER

JULY 22, 2017

Overall, I’m familiar with both AR and VR through mostly a personal interest. I’ve used virtual reality through a VR headset and by using a phone. Additionally, I’ve rode VR simulators, most recently at Disney’s EPCOT Innovations pavilion where I was able to design a rollercoaster and then step inside a virtual reality simulator to test it out.

I’ve used watered-down versions of augmented reality on my phone and have read about new and upcoming AR tools, mainly Apple’s new ARKit. Overall, through my personal use and countless articles I have read, I think AR has more of a chance to be successful with current technology than VR.

While I do agree in principle with Chris Alexander’s article “Virtual Reality: The Fad Will Fade”, I do think some of his points are a bit extreme. I don’t think that VR is “hijacking” the brain, but I do think VR is better suited for entertainment applications and AR can be used for both entertainment and education — at least with today’s technology.

VR works great for entertainment purposes, especially on a large scale. VR headset devices that I’ve used don’t feel real and they tend to make me nauseous. However, on a larger scale, such as theme park rides, it works great. In fact, Disney is bringing to life a new ride experience that will immerse the rider into a new 3-D work without needing to wear any glasses. So for something that is fun entertainment, VR will work great on a large scale. With all of that being said, I do see some uses that could help learners see things they never thought possible, such as a VR look at an art museum on the other side of the world. But, I would argue that seeing interactive photos/videos would be just as good with today’s technology.

AR though has immediate potential using Apple’s newly developed ARKit. See the video below from Minecraft to see it in action.

Apple is the process of developing ARKit (you can see the official demo here) that has the potential to revolutionize both the entertainment and learning world. Imagine taking your phone and pointing it at your broken down car engine and the AR feature will be able to help you figure out what is wrong. Or actually seeing Abraham Lincoln in your living room giving the Gettysburg Address. I think being able to see things like this in an environment the learner is used to will make it seem more real than looking at a video in VR.

I do eventually think that VR has potential, but we’re still a ways off. I think it’s in the same realm as 3D TV’s were a few years ago. In order for them to take off, some serious breakthroughs need to be made along with the cost coming down and plenty of content for the user.