Civic Spaces

Ifemelu and Obinze spend their college years at the University of Nsukka.  It is a small, quaint, village of a school that both disoriented but interested Ifemelu.  This, along with all colleges in general, would definitely be considered a civic space.  What makes a space civic is a place that is open to the public where people can both interact with each other and with the government.  They bring people together and build a sense of community within each other.  Nsukka fits this criteria for both Ifemelu and Obinze.  Many of their friends go there as well, so it became a place for social activity.  Especially for Ifemelu who found that there were “so many options for belonging.” (Adichie 110).  One way that the people of this community could get involved with the government is through the students’ union government.  The students would protest outside of the vice chancellor’s house, shouting about their lack of light, water, and education.  Although this screaming is not the most rhetorical form of involvement, it does cause interaction between the student body and the government.  With this kind of environment, Adichie is communicating her opinion about civic life.  It seems as though she believes people should be involved both within their community and with their government.  Like Ifemelu, Adichie thinks people should voice their opinions and be passionate with their beliefs.  As her famous speech on TED talks about feminism shows, she is an advocate for change.  She has her firm beliefs, and she believes in letting them be known in order to call attention to things that are not the way they should be.

3 Comments on Civic Spaces

1. axb5626
    September 11, 2014 at 5:27 pm (10 years ago)

I understand what you mean when you are calling Nsukka civic because it was a place where she could get involved in both govt and school, but do you think this is what she expected as her civic space? I think it’s important to note how Ifem felt cheated by this civic space because of the riots. She felt she was not receiving the education she signed up for. Although this is true, you are right in saying that the govt participation is a civic engagement. However, Ifem never thought that student and community government would be the way she is “civic” at University.

2. asc5337
    September 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm (10 years ago)

As I was reading this portion of the novel, it was apparent to me as well that the college was a key learning sphere for civic involvement. It was this same knowledge that shows through in her later blog posts.
    I felt also that your judgments on Adichie’s message were fair and accurate. It was pretty cool that you were able to relate the TED talks to what she is presenting within the novel itself. I think that I am going to have to look the TED talks up to inform myself about her central opinions as I continue forward in the book.

3. bor5034
    September 4, 2014 at 5:08 pm (10 years ago)

I agree with your post, and I feel that Adiche is channeling herself into the character of Ifemelu in the way that they both have very strong opinions and are working for social change. In the book, Ifemelu is advocating people to become educated on other cultures and ideals, and lose their ignorance so as the grow as people. In much the same way, Adiche in real life is pushing for the end of sexism through her talks of feminism, and wanting people to move from a state of ignorance to enlightenment. I would argue that the college you wrote about was included to illustrate this growth from ignorance to enlightenment, and it is a great example of a civic place within this context.