Gender Roles

At the start of High School I believe that is when ones gender really begins to influence their life. Boys really begin to like girls at that age and there is a huge difference in the overall way females are treated and looked at.   I think that as someone develops their maturity they begin to notice the obvious differences between the sexes.

For me I really started to notice the differences between the sexes and also feel differently as a woman in High School. I think things really begin to change because High School is the time to be more social with the opposite sex and really explore the differences between the two genders. When I began to notice that boys saw me as a girl before a person, that’s when I started to realize that there is a huge difference between the way girls are treated versus boys.

I’ve always seen myself as a strong person regardless of my sex and that is because of how I was raised. I’ve never let anyone tell me I can’t do something because I am not strong enough or I am not “man” enough. I don’t let comments like that bother me because I am proud to be a woman. There is definitely a lot of expectations and judgment that comes from being a female. For instance what you where, how much makeup you wear, the stores you shop at, the sports you play; all these things are just a few of the things women are judged on and especially judge each other on.

Growing up throughout High School, I definitely felt pressured to act and dress a certain way because of my sex. I though it was important to dress up for school and as I started to grow I realized you should dress however I felt comfortable. I always felt as though there is a certain way women should act and a certain way men should act, and that is definitely something that shaped the way I carry myself today. I try to be the strongest woman I know how to be. Although there are things that separate men and women I think if you are comfortable with yourself and are able to be the strongest person you know how to be than you will have no problem staying confident in yourself. High School is a hard time for everyone and looking back it definitely brought a lot of change into my life. It was the time where people started to grow up and see life and people in a different way.