Superstitious Much?

Most people are at least to some degree superstitious. Whether that be placing luck in certain numbers, knocking knuckles on wood to ward off bad luck, or saying “God Bless You” after a sneeze, superstitions and their subsequent behaviors are present in the daily lives of many. In such a manner, every culture has its own set of not only values and traditions, but also beliefs and superstitions. What may seem odd to a foreigner, might be widely accepted and heavily embedded within a specific culture.

Ukrainians and other Slavic nations for that matter are considered to be very superstitious. Growing up with heavily rooted grandparents and parents, I came to accept many beliefs that seemed incredulous to some of my classmates. Certain common and rather ordinary behaviors or habits of mine would be chastised by my grandmother, as she deemed I was either entertaining bad omens or drawing bad luck onto myself and family. Below is a list of rather comical but seriously regarded superstitions that the Ukrainian folk have passed down through generations. Many of these are observed cross-culturally. Important to note is that Ukrainians consider foreigners exempt from these superstitions, so for those readers on guard, you may breathe out a sigh of relief.

1. Don’t whistle inside or else you’ll receive bad luck.
  2. An unmarried person shouldn’t sit at the corner of a table, or else he or she will not be wed for seven years.
  3. Be sure to lightly step back on someone’s foot if he or she mistakenly steps on yours. This is not only a sign of respect but also secures good luck.
  4. Do not open an umbrella indoors; regardless if it’s wet or dry, or else bad luck will ensue.
  5. Consider yourself lucky if a bird poops on you.
  6. If you sprout a pimple on the middle of your nose, someone has fallen in love with you. This one is especially comforting for young teenagers going through puberty, as breakouts are common and embarrassing during those years. So, in an attempt to make adolescents feel better, this superstition is often referred to.
  7. Never eat from a knife or else you will become angry or violent. Fitting, given the utensil of choice.
  8. Make sure all debts are taken care of before December 31st, or else the following year you will be indebted. Did I hear college loans??
  9. Before embarking on a trip, have a “moment of silence.” For religious folk, this is often accompanied by a prayer and serves as a means of consolidating.
  10. Only give bouquets with an odd number of flowers. Even numbered flower bouquets are only suitable for funerals.

3 thoughts on “Superstitious Much?

1. These superstitions are all really unique and entertaining. I’m a little superstitious myself at times so I can definitely relate to these.

2. Superstitions are such an interesting way to perceive things, as a kid, I always was superstitious about everything and anything. It seems like many kids are introduced to superstitions by their parents or grandparents.

3. I am familiar with quite a few of these. Numbers 4, 5, and 10 are things that I have heard before, but 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are new to me. One thing I am curious about is as to why Ukrainians exempt foreigners from their superstitions. I find that extremely interesting.