So Long 2010

By Ana Salgado, MBA Class of 2011

For a few days now, I have been reflecting on everything that happened in the last 12 months. To start, I have gained 15 pounds and I won’t say my age anymore…yes, I am still in shock! But besides that, 2010 has been quite a year. From 1st year to 2nd year MBA student, from living alone to having roommates, and from worrying about school to worrying about going back to the “real world,” 2010 has been a year of challenges, changes, and expectations.

My year started with loads of homework, a new team, and the stress of not having an internship. Then, Global Immersion in Incredible India with incredible people energized me. I came back to my regular life and the fresh air of the spring came with an internship and the last few days as a Smeal MBA 1st year student.

Summer started with a long flight to the west coast. The internship at AT&T was a valuable learning experience and I made new friends and mentors. Time flew and before I realized it, the summer was over and I was preparing to return to Happy Valley. I walked through the MBA commons as a 2nd year student and I didn’t own the room anymore. The fall started and with it new classes, new teams, a new dance for the Talent No Talent show, and the search for a job in the midst of a financial crisis. In a blink of an eye it was December again and I am home in Florida sharing Christmas season with my family.

Through this year of many changes, many uncertainties, and many challenges there are a couple of things that remain unchanged: the love and support from my friends and family, which is my fortune and my strength. I hope that 2011 brings me and y’all the fortune of the love and support from true friends and family…what else can one hope for?

“For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson