Alex Piro’s Blog: How Music Is Crucial To Media Content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvcCpoFszM

Let me first start by saying that this is one of my favorite dances of all time and it is my dream to be able to perform something like this. Also, let me tell you a little bit about the background of the meaning behind this dance. It tells a story. The story is about a boy who is a tease and keeps chasing after a girl who doesn’t want to fall in love with him because she knows that he is a player. However, the boy charms her throughout the dance and although she doesn’t want to fall for him, she ends up having feelings for him by the end of the dance. I am personally a choreographer and the music is crucial to the dance and the emotion that the dancers are going to portray. The sound of the music is what sets the entire tone of the dance. Since the song “Wicked Game” is a slow song that utilizes it’s guitar strings to set a melancholy mood, the choreographer will lean more towards a sad story line for the dancers to portray. Additionally, sad music tends to naturally make the dancers illustrate a sad emotion when they dance. Thus, if a song is slow, such as “Wicked Game,” it is easier for the dancers to portray the proper emotion behind the song and it’s story line. Therefore, I think that this dance demonstrates how music is crucial to emotion because I think that Amy and Travis (the dancers) display emotion very well through out the piece. Moreover, coming from experience as a dancer, it is usually always the music that influences the mood you are in when you perform the piece, which proves that music is crucial to the emotion.

One thought on “Alex Piro’s Blog: How Music Is Crucial To Media Content

1. I think that this dance is a great example of how music helps set up a story in our minds. If most people were to watch this dance muted so that they couldn’t hear the music, they wouldn’t get the story that’s being told as easily. I totally agree that the sad song adds the emotion to the peace, and really sets the mood for the dance.