Theories to Understand Learning with Mobile Devices

In the overview of learning theories, Bransford et al. talk about a ‘decade of synergy” and discuss the background for the three ideas of implicit, informal and formal learning and attempt to address all three aspects of effective learning in one framework. Some of the background information on the science of the brain is familiar to me in that my daughter is on the Autism Spectrum. She was in the 99th percentile early in her development three, six, nine, 12, 18 and 24 months and spoke in sentences earlier than most children do. I heard much about the “pruning” when at 27-30 months she began to exhibit classic ASD behaviors which including the loss of her ability to speak as she had months before. I am also well aware of the perception of “critical periods of learning” by parents, educators and social services who still think that “the ability to learn certain kinds of information shuts down if the critical period is missed, with detrimental effects on learning forever.” Page 213, (Bransford 2006).

Thankfully however, it has been shown that the brain is more malleable than that and although more challenging knowledge is still attainable. I see this daily when asked a question or a social cue is given, it takes my daughter longer to answer a question or react to the cue. It is likely that because of the “pruning” of synapse, it forces the thought process on an indirect route to her knowledge. Much like a road closure and subsequent detour makes travel in a car longer. I also understand the use of “stretched” acoustics, Bransford (2006) page 215, to assist in the learning of language since this same method has been used to help her relearn her lost speech.

In thinking about the graphic figure 10.1 on page 210, of the Bransford (2006) article I’m surprised that as the article states that implicit, informal and formal were viewed as separate threads. To me their use of one integrated area makes more sense to me. A few years ago Gilligan Island was on the TV and Ginger made a hand motion saying “you want some bread” Not only did she find the phrase and gesture amusing but by observing this my daughter began using the hand jester in the proper context of when something was being asked of her and if she was resistant to do the request or unhappy with the request. Not unlike what Bransford (2006) talks about on 214, “learning that takes into account the full complexity of situations may make initial learning a little more difficult but ultimately improve transfer and generalization” and page 215 regarding that “human beings are the most imitative creatures on the planet.“ and this has a profound impact on learning.

Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is a formal method of teaching children with ASD. Although it has other components, it follows the same ideas of learning by using routine to develop an expertise as described in Bransford (2006) on page 225. Beginning with small segments of tasks, students observe the task, are helped with the task using hand over hand, until the skill is performed by the student with regularity. Although a more simplistic example it does follow the idea of rote expertise to “solve particular sets of problems more efficiently.” These skills are then taken from the formal setting and applied in everyday settings enhancing both formal and informal learning.

I enjoyed the video of Dr. Mimi Ito Connected Learning, Children and Digital Media, in that, for me, it encapsulated much of what we have been reading and writing about for the past few weeks. Early on Dr. Ito talks about the differences between the friendship-driven, messing around, as well as “geeking out” in using new media as was discussed by Warschauer (2010) p 192, in speaking about Ito’s work. Dr. Ito points out for good reasons why it would be “creepy” to have parents within the context of the friendship-driven space. It is not unlike how in my time a child would be creeped out having their parent as a chaperone at a dance. The same social aspects of adolescent life are just taking place in an online environment.

The interest driven students, those considered as the messing around and the even more involved “geeking out” aspects of an online presence, have taken their interest to a different level and expand outside those typically know in the friendship driven space. Dr. Ito also points out that each of these areas have their own learning opportunities but it is the approach used to develop these learning opportunities that is important.

This also made me think about the ideas of both “outside-in, inside out” as well as the figure in Branford’s article on page 210. These activities that students are engaged in are implicit and they occur outside the formal arena of learning. Having said that, they are also intertwined with formal learning environments in that these outside learning opportunities, like learning social cues, are utilized in formal learning environments and during student collaboration either formal or informal.

With regards to the Sharples (2009) article the one of the areas I had to think about the most was the mobility in conceptual space page 235, which is amusing since my attention is constantly shifting. In the section on Designing Mobile Learning it was good to see that the authors recognized that “the use of mobile technologies may only be suitable for part of the activity, with other parts being better supported by other technologies, or by no technology at all. It seems to me that all too often people are looking for the magic silver bullet that will fix all problems, in this case teaching and learning. Sometimes to teach writing skills you’ll still want to use a pencil.

Bransford, J., et al. (2006). Learning theories and education. (pages 209 through 244).

Sharples, M., et al. (2009). Mobile learning: Small devices, big issues. (pages 233 through 249).

Connected Learning, Children, and Digital Media by Dr. Mimi Ito from UC Irvine

This entry was posted in LDT505 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Theories to Understand Learning with Mobile Devices

1. James Feeney says:

Hi Steven,
    Thank you for sharing your experience about your daughter. I, too have a son on the autism spectrum. He’s just 2 1/2, but we noticed a speech delay. We’re using ABA therapists, too.
    I particularly like your comments about mobile devices not being a panacea. I agree that all too often we look at every piece of new tech as being “the thing” that’s going to disrupt the state of educational art to its core. It’s very true what you say that sometimes, to teach writing, you should reach for a pencil.

I made extensive comments on Dr. Ito’s video and writing. However, possibly in alone in taking issue with the term “geeking out”. She used that phrase several times, and perhaps my issue with it is that in my day it was used as a pejorative. It’s bad to be inspired or interested in learning. That makes you a geek. Geek is not a kind moniker. Possibly, times have changed and being a geek is no longer bad. Still, language matters. Those undertones convey a sense of superiority for some over others. The name “geek” is intended to belittle the person to whom it is applied. Like I say, I’m totally willing to admit that maybe my definition of the word is old fashioned, but I can’t be the only one who doesn’t want to be called that. Lord knows I was called it enough in high school!

I also greatly like the idea of intertwining the formal, informal and implicit learning. I wonder if the collateral learning (eg how to use different mobile devices, trouble shooting, wireless use, etc) should be added to that. In addition to those things, I like the idea of supplementing the formal and informal with dinner conversations and activities outside school. I think that helps people make connections between topics and understand the nuances and interconnected was of their surroundings. Mobile learning helps that tremendously.

Finally, bringing these ideas back to full circle, I recently read a blog post from a mother of an autistic child. It made me wonder. We are good teachers because our students learn. When our students don’t learn, we blame the students. What we should do is understand that those students (like my son and your daughter) learn differently. As good teachers, we need to rise to the occasion, try different things (like Geminii, etc.) and tailor our activities to our learners. Anyone can teach, for example, my medical students, who can learn anytime anywhere. But it takes real talent and skill to teach, for example, my son. He needs real attention to his different abilities and needs. The ability to do that, I think, is the mark of a great teacher.

2. Karen M Lambert says:

I enjoyed reading your blog regarding the insights on education theory and your experience with Applied Behavior Analysis. I think that Bransford et al (2006) is illustrating the traditional mode of research in Figure 10.1, however he advocates the need to move learning forward with “a simultaneous emphasis on informal and formal learning environments, and on the implicit ways in which people learn in whatever situations they find themselves” (p. 210). This is aligned with Sharples’ (2015) view of seamless learning which I discuss further below.

I think all parents need to be involved in their children’s education. Teachers and parents need to collaborate to ensure each child is provided with the optimal learning atmosphere. According to the website Autism Speaks.org, the objective of Applied Behavior Analysis is to understand behavior and how it is impacted by the environment. This approach is relevant to the concept of seamless learning. As I discussed in my lesson three post, Sharples (2015) displays context as a comprehensive approach promoting learning despite changing contexts, which is analogous to seamless learning. Seamless learning is connected learning which involves joining learning across locations and settings.

Most students are able to differentiate between contexts, however a child with autism may not as a result of context blindness (Vermeulen, 2011). Vermeulen offers an example from the film Rain Man where Dustin Hoffman, who plays a character with autism, stops in the middle of crossing the street because the sign changed to ‘Don’t Walk’ (Vermeulen, 2011). Hoffman’s character sees the sign and stops walking even though it is dangerous to stop in the middle of the street because to him the words on the sign are absolute. The fact that he is in the middle of a crosswalk does not enter his contextual sensibilities. Regardless of where a child with autism is physically, learning is continual.

Autism Speaks.org (2016). Applied behavior analysis. Retrieved from https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/treatment/applied-behavior-analysis-aba

Vermeulen, P. (Nov/Dec. 2011). Autism: From mind blindness to context blindness. Autism Asperger’s Digest. Retrieved from
    http://autismdigest.com/context-blindness/