Learning Philosophy & Wordle – Week #2

My learning philosophy is more of a Hodgepodge of thoughts and ideas. I don’t really subscribe to a specific theory given that I tend to be more interested in things as a practitioner than a theorist. I think that behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism, social learning, Experiential learning etc. all have elements that can explain to a degree how learning occurs. But as I have said before there is no magic bullet, all things can’t be explained by one theory.

Einstein Hawking and all those people who understand physics will have a Theory of Everything before there is one learning theory that comprehensively explained how all individuals learn… Of course they have just as long a way to go if Sheldon and Leslie Winkle are an example.

https://youtu.be/_5nh2s__fPE

When I think about my experiences in K-12 , undergraduate and graduate school I think of a variety of methods used by a number of mentors to encourage my learning in both formal and informal settings. There were times where I learned from the sage on the stage, the guide on the side and the conductor of collaboration.

Very often learning is implicit while other times it is a well thought out process in the pursuit of specific knowledge. As an undergrad I think about how important the social aspects of my interactions with classmates and instructors both educationally and otherwise impacted my learning. I also believe it is important to allow learners to fail because often you learn a lot more from your mistakes than your successes. Unless you are skydiving then you only want success.

Learning can require tools but technology is not the end all be all. It, like a pencil, is a tool and learners need to be able to use (or not use) the best tool for the job in helping them learn not because it the popular gee-whiz item of the day but because it will help them the individual learner.

Wordle

wordle

This entry was posted in EDTEC467. Bookmark the permalink.