Week 10 Participatory culture and learning

As we continue to read about the learning that can take place in a collaborative environment with the aid of Web 2.0 technologies, it is good to see the many different skills the students can acquire. The article on New Media and Technology stressed that “Access to the community created opportunities for individuals to imagine new possibilities for creation; develop their technical and aesthetic abilities; create more technically, aesthetically, or conceptually sophisticated projects than would have been possible to create independently; and reflect on their development as creators of interactive media” (p. 82). I think many kids have the motivation to take their ideas and run with them, as shown in the examples we read this week, but still others need to find a way to nurture this motivation. The articles point out access as a barrier for the participatory learning, and I also think the teachers can become barriers when they do not believe, or have training, in this style of learning.

A few years ago, I offered a Video Game Development course in our summer youth program. It was really designed to get the older children interested in our IST program. When we thought about having the program, we were trying to capitalize on the videogame craze and weren’t necessarily thinking about the learning experience. After the readings in this class, I see we could have enhanced the experience even more by using some type of community to support this course. I am in the planning stages right now for the summer program, so I need to think about how I can use what I am learning to make the experience more meaningful and possibly give them, as stated in the Jenkins article “new media literacies: a set of cultural competencies and social skills that young people need in the new media landscape” (p. 4).

Q & A…

Which of the new media literacies would feel would be most easily integrated into your context?
I have limited resources and time to use technology in our summer youth program. However, I think many of the new media literacies can be integrated into the few courses I can offer with technology. Besides the obvious distributed cognition the students would get in the Videogame Development course, I was told recently that we may have access to some type of film production that can expand the media skills with the students. I think we could develop a course that uses appropriation with remixing of media content. We have a digital photography class that could be expanded to include transmedia navigation.

I think the biggest challenge is the limited time we have to develop the overall community concept. I think it can be introduced or perhaps it can be used to build upon a something that is already done in our local school district. Brennan, Monroy-Hernandez, & Resnick mention that overall “This development is not a wholly individual process; it is important for creators to be situated in and supported by a community of practice that connects them to other people, resources, routines, and goals” (p. 2). In addition, although the concept of community seems to be more about the web communities, I think that connecting with the local school district would also be important.

What are ways in which we can think of combining new literacies within formal education?
I like Jenkins’ comment that “We suspect that young people who spend more time playing within these new media environments will feel greater comfort interacting with one another via electronic channels, will have greater fluidity in navigating information landscapes, will be better able to multitask and make rapid decisions about the quality of information they are receiving, and will be able to collaborate better with people from diverse cultural backgrounds” (p. 10). The identification of these new literacies should help educators understand the benefits of integrating technology into the classroom. The Scratch projects were presented as a very good way to get students involved with a community as well as give them the chance to bring out their creative side. I understand how Scratch contributes to collective intelligence as the students work with others in the community. However, I also see that this type of interaction needs the guidance of teachers to help students navigate their reactions to such a community. The readings discuss that some students may feel intimidated by the other projects or receive negative feedback.

I have been asked to explore “learning communities” for new adults on campus. There is a pilot program for traditional students that uses a music and English course to create this community. I think they are forming this community around shared assignments, but I don’t think technology is involved. I can see using the community within technology to strengthen this learning experience and develop their collective intelligence.

11 thoughts on “Week 10 Participatory culture and learning

1. Priya Sharma

Lots of good points about the importance of supporting teachers and the community around the students. Also thinking about your summer gaming program, it would be interesting if you had some sort of open night for interested gamers in the community to come in and play with and offer feedback on student ideas. You could do it both f2f and online if possible – it may be a way to bring in outside expertise as well as authentic aspects into the activity.

2. Amy

I have so many engaging blogs to respond to this week! Everyone has had something different and interesting to say, and it seems like I have a lot of people in my group that host groups, or are teachers or who provide learning to others.

I appreciated what you said about the different types of learners, and that some students are motivated to take ideas and run with them, and others need some nudging and encouragement. That’s one of the best parts of the participatory culture in my perspective. If it’s truly participatory and collaborative than organically some new learning takes place when people who normally don’t contribute step up and share their ideas. Someone else made the comment that “required post” and “post because you are interested” is very different and creates different culture in a learning environment.

And I read your one comment nodding my head in agreement, but sort of sad about it as well. Yes, kids are far more comfortable communicating through electronic channels, and that’s good when it means quick thinking and response to ideas, and fluid creativity. But unfortunately, in some circumstances, that means we have children who can’t communicate well, or hold up their end of a polite conversation with an adult. BOTH sets of skills are equally important in a job interview.

I’m sure it’s very exciting for you to be able to think about how you can use the technologies you are learning about to make the most of the next programs you offer. Good luck!

1. Sueann Post author

Hi Amy,
      I agree that participatory learning could be the encouraging environment that helps to motivate students and “people who normally don’t contribute step up and share their ideas.” I know it is not a new concept, we are just discussing it as it relates to technology. I think this learning can be challenging in any kind of group – especially groups at a distance. I’ve done little participatory learning with technology, so our group wiki project is going to be interesting!
      Sueann

3. Jeffrey James Wile

During my formal evaluation I had this year during one of my programming classes — I was challenged to get the community involved in the programming curriculum. The biggest suggestion was finding prior students or one of our many small business companies that uses programming and have them speak. Not sure if that is a route you are looking to go, but that was a thought I was given. I wanted to jump off of your video game summer course. What a great idea and activity! I teach a programming course wrapped completely in game design. Students come with no idea or experience to how a game is created and in the course of a semester they learn nearly every way you can have a program interact with a computer; keyboard, mouse, timers, buttons, etc. Although we don’t focus completely on games, many students take this and develop their own final game to share with each other at the end. This is really a neat experience to see all of their hard work pay off in students feeling successful and getting to show off everything they have learned. I would definitely agree that your learning community should embrace some sort of technology unit as this is a huge way to collaborate.

1. Sueann Post author

Hi Jeff,
      We have former IST students who might have gone into programming, so that is a good thought! I also like your idea of teaching the various ways to interact with the computer. This really gives the students a good understanding of computers and a great base to start!
      Sueann

4. Cori

Hi Sueann,
    What a great idea to explore using Wikis or similar with adult communities. I’m not sure where I stand yet on using these tools with younger students just yet, however, as an adult learner I have really enjoyed my blog and wiki forums. It’s much more enjoyable than simply submitting a weekly assignment to the course professor that no one else ever sees. This is all the more true for larger assignments that I pour myself into to know that only one other person in the entire world will ever read it. I really think that adults appreciate the collective community.
    Great idea!
    Cori

1. Sueann Post author

Hi Cori,
      I hadn’t thought about how we do seem to only write our assignments for one person to read. I am such an introvert, that this usually works for me. So, blogging has been a new experience, and I was nervous at first. But, it has been a good experience.
      Sueann

5. Tabitha Kim

Hi Sueann,
    I do agree with your idea that says “I think many kids have the motivation to take their ideas and run with them, as shown in the examples we read this week, but still others need to find a way to nurture this motivation.” The kids are always eager to express their ideas and thoughts to the others. This is a natural thing to them. Bringing their perspective in learning would be very exciting and effective for children to learn from themselves. That’s why participatory culture is important in the classroom. The kids are allowed to spread out their creativity in learning.

1. Sueann Post author

Hi Tabitha,
      I work with adults so much that I forget how eager kids can be about sharing their thoughts. I agree, participatory learning can help the kids use their creativity and express themselves in a much more interactive manner.
      Sueann

6. Deena

Hi Sueann,

I think you make a really good point when you say, “The articles point out access as a barrier for the participatory learning, and I also think the teachers can become barriers when they do not believe, or have training, in this style of learning.” I don’t think that we often think of ourselves (as educators) as potential “barriers” to new, media literacy, but I think especially for those that work with a younger populations, it is definitely a really important consideration. It seems like more and more it would be viewed as leaving something out of the curriculum were teaching and learning to continue to take place without some adoption of these forms of technology that are proving themselves to be really beneficial to students. There is still, though, the issue of those that might not have access at home. I guess more and more schools are providing opportunities within the actual school building or with district owned iPads, computers, etc…right? Anyway, I like your spin on that ;-).

1. Sueann Post author

Thanks, Deena. Our campus has instructors that do not want to utilize technology for teaching. I think this becomes a barrier when younger students come in expecting to see its use here, and go away disappointed or have lost the technology “momentum” they had from high school. I think all education needs to determine a base for technology usage (and knowledge) in the classroom if students are to be prepared to go out into the global workplace.
      Sueann