I’m Feeling a Little Wicked (Part 1)

Now, we all know the story of the Wizard of Oz: Dorothy of Kansas gets swept up by a tornado, taken to a mystical new world, blah, blah, blah, et cetera, et cetera. But, just like every story, there is another side to it. Wicked, based off of the novel of the same title, is a musical which depicts the “Wicked” Witch of the West and her struggles. I personally love this portrayal much more than the classic Wizard of Oz (or any other spin-off for that matter).

In this edition we will, as always, talk about the plot and acting of the show. Now, I’ve personally seen it multiple times, so my acting depiction will be of the latest time seeing it (Summer of 2012) in none other than the great Broadway stage.

Anyway… off we go! (And no cut because I just can’t be bothered.)

Plot: 9.9/10- I love the plot! It’s original, subtly thought-provoking, engaging, humorous and just…. AWESOME. The continuity it also maintains between the ongoing story and the previously established canon of Wizard of Oz is just well executed. My only criticism would be that it moves slightly too fast for my liking and doesn’t have long enough acting interludes. The multiple loves stories, fight and stunt scenes, and the twist ending make it easily an appealing story for all types.

Acting: 9/10- Nothing overly spectacular but nonetheless very well done and well acted. As I said above, it doesn’t have that long of acting time for me to really get an accurate or specific judgement in regards to this aspect. Though, I must say, this version’s Fiyero is by far the best one I have ever seen (Sorry Norbert Leo Butz!). Though, the leading gals(Galinda/Glinda and Elphaba) of this showing’s Wicked have really nothing on the excellence that is the original Broadway cast—Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.

Well that’s all we have today for this quick half-review. Till next time!