How to Make Cardio your BFF

Cardio is an important asset for trying to lose weight! It brings your heart rate up to burn calories and improves muscle mass. Don’t forget that it can be a terrific stress reliever when your roommate is getting on your nerves or the grade on your Econ exam doesn’t reflect how many hours you studied. So, whether you’re heading to the gym or lacing up your sneakers to go outside, keep these tips in mind to maximize your cardio workout.

Drink Plenty H2O 

Lots of people try to lose the excess water weight in their body in order to look their best. However, during a cardio workout your body is going to sweat profusely; but you need to replace these fluids. Losing those extra three pounds of water weight may seem crucial but not drinking water can lead to dehydration. When untreated dehydration can cause heat exhaustion, seizures, or even death. Don’t participate in such risky behavior and stay hydrated while you workout! 

Mix Up Cardio Routines 

Having a favorite or go-to cardio workout is awesome! But doing the same one everyday can become monotonous and boring. By changing up your workout you become more interested, have more fun, and target different muscle groups! Try going to a Zumba class with a friend to have fun while you workout, dance to fun music, and burn lots of calories. On average the 150 lb person burns 536 calories in one class! Running can cause a strain on your knees. If this happens to you, ditch the sneakers and hop in the pool! Swimming is a terrific, non-impact cardio workout that works all muscle groups. At an average pace swimming burns about 500 calories per hour.

Make a Playlist

Creating a workout playlist with upbeat songs can make the time pass faster. If you’re up for a challenge, try sprinting on the treadmill, peddling faster on the bike, or turning up the resistance on the elliptical during the chorus of the song and then slowing back down during other verses. This will bring your heart rate up for a determined amount of time without using a timer, while listening to your favorite song!

photo creds: http://www.self.com/images/fitness/2012/07/cardio-workouts-01-fiss431.jpg

information credit: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561/DSECTION=complications

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-swimming

This entry was posted in For the Health of It. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to How to Make Cardio your BFF

1. Jake Moll says:

I can’t stand running because of being out of breath afterwards. I actually would like to d0 sprints over a consistent long run. But yes, H2O is a KEY in any form of physical activity. I did Football and Tennis in high school and had to drink water all the time or I would stop sweating during practices and feel/get sick. I also swam when I was really young until about 14 and it was very strenuous. I could definitely believe that you burn 500 calories/hour because it is such an endurance and works practically every muscle of the body! Great post Taylor, maybe after taking some of these helpful pointers I can try and enjoy running though more.

2. Shanelle Nimley says:

You’ve posted some really great tips! I especially like your input on making a playlist to help your workout become more enjoyable. Thanks for the advice on Zumba, I’ll definitely try it the next chance I get.

3. Zack Abel says:

I could not agree more with making a playlist to workout. If I ever forget my earbuds, I feel lost without them and feel that my workout is not nearly as successful. It is amazing how much music can do, from clearing your mind to helping you workout.

4. Christina Lisciotto says:

This is a great blog to read-especially for all of the people getting ready for the color run this sunday! I really like how you incorporated making a playlist for working out. Listening to music makes working out more enjoyable. Also, the tip about mixing up routines is a great idea because after a while work outs tend to get boring.

5. Kelly Dore says:

I hate running, but love to swim! I had no idea swimming burned that many calories in an hour. I have yet to take one but my friend took a hip-hop class at the gym here and loved it! She said it was fun and she embarrassed herself, but that it was a great workout!