Civic Issues: Gender and Sexuality in American Life

Hey, everyone! I’ve been thinking long and hard about this blog especially, and I’ve finally come to the conclusion that it would be both fun and informative for me to write about gender and sexuality, and how the concepts have changed, and have been changing even today.

A lot of people today aren’t as aware of the inner-workings of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, and Questioning (LGBTQ) community as they so believe that they are. Shockingly enough, some people don’t even believe that bisexuals exist in today’s society, and try to cast off each individual who identifies as such as liars or “straight people who like to pretend that they aren’t.” The search and race for equality still continues on even today, and it’s imperative to catalog the recent achievements and updates in the community for the simple reason that equality begins and ends with everyone. There is no man, woman, or child left behind. I’m still trying to elaborate and put together all of the ideas I have for this blog, but it’s still under major construction as of right now.

Here are some of the questions that I have now:

1.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of living as a FTM transgender, or MTF transgender? What is the major difference between gender and sex that most people misinterpret when they use the terms interchangeably?

2. What differentiates each individual on the sexuality spectrum, and how does that interpret how society views each person?

3. Controversial: have social tensions increased or decreased in response to these changes in the ways that a person chooses to identify themselves as something else than what other people see them?

Again, this is under major construction, but I hope to get everything worked out and smoothly underway fairly soon!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Civic Issues: Gender and Sexuality in American Life

1. Nicole says:

Thank you very much, Kyle! I will be definitely be using one or both of these as references in my post. They both have very great insight and give another dimension to what I’m trying to talk about. Right on. 🙂

2. Kyle King says:

Right on, Nicole. Good topic, good questions. Maybe one possible starting point: http://flavorwire.com/433520/against-mes-transgender-dysphoria-blues-is-a-bracing-rock-album-and-a-courageous-manifesto/

Or another (bad video quality, unfortunately, but it’s an ESPN documentary about transgender tennis player Renee Richards): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znFHYXQMKs&list=PLSI4NAHCZR16em6w-2cLQwr6MjRKLyXYy

3. Nick says:

I like that you chose a topic that can be informative with a sense of advocacy. I am not really all that well informed about the LGBTQ community (admittedly, I didn’t even know what the ‘Q’ stood for before I read this post). I am interested to learn much more throughout the course of the semester. Good luck!

4. Jared Ogden says:

I find it admirable that you chose this topic! As Frank mentioned, you do pose some great and purposeful questions! I am interesting in discovering your stance and beliefs on this issue, and moreover it will be exciting to learn about the community on a deeper level!

5. Sarah Bevilacqua says:

This seems like an interesting topic that will shine a lot of light on many of our misinformed ideas. I feel like I am pretty informed about the LGBTQ community, so I’m excited to find out what I don’t know. I really like your third question, and think that it has a lot of potential. Someone in my English class last semester did his ted talk about that question, and while it isn’t on his blog, but I’ll try to find it. Will you keep this blog strictly on LGBTQ within America, or will you expand it to other cultures?

6. Frank says:

As someone who admittedly knows very little about the LGBTQ community I am really looking forward to learn a lot from your blog. I think that this is a topic that many people are uninformed on and this should open things up for plenty of honest, informative discussion. You pose some very poignant questions that definitely need answering and shedding light on such a sensitive topic should be a learning experience for the entire class.