9-12-15-18

The music reviewing site Pitchfork writes an annual feature called “5-10-15-20”, where they ask artists to talk about music that made an impact on them at these ages (and sometimes older). Here’s my own take on that list, with a span of 3 years to highlight key years.

Age 9: Black Eyed Peas – Elephunk 

6169XSAYF2L

I was considering picking an album that I listened to at six, but I couldn’t really think of any stand-outs. For some reason,  watching the video for the Black Eyed Pea’s song “Pump It” on MTV is one of my first memories of consciously choosing/finding music to listen to. In third grade, I remember I had to ask my parents to buy the album. They were hesitant at first to get me a hip-hop album, but once they caved in, I was able to download it onto a CD and listen to in continuously in my room. It also sparked (for some reason) an interest in breakdancing, which I tried to emulate embarrassingly.

Age 12: Chiodos – All’s Well That Ends Well

4411192

It was sixth grade and I was hanging out my friend Sean McSherry when his older brother bursts into the room. He rushes to the computer screen and turns on the song “There’s No Penguins In Alaska” by this band called Chiodos. The music was unlike anything I heard of before. It was a strange medley of hardcore guitars, clean/ unclean vocals and keyboards — and I instantly loved it. It was one of the first albums I ever bought on my own. With the interest in this album, I dove into a self-described “Myspace Era” for the next couple years. Bands actively used Myspace as free publicity, leading me to find most of my music from the site. I also really enjoyed buying band t-shirts at Hot Topic in this period of my life.

Age 15: Tegan and Sara – So Jealous and The ConTegan_and_Sara_-_So_Jealous_coverTegan_and_Sara_-_The_Con_cover

I would not be exaggerating much if I said I listened to Tegan and Sara exclusively for much of my freshman year. I think I found one of their studio performances online and was hooked. I was torn between choosing their fourth album So Jealous or their fifth album The Con, so I could only rightfully choose both. On So Jealous, I enjoy the greatness of certain songs. “I Bet It Stung”, “Downtown” and “Speak Slow” are among the best music Tegan and Sara have created. Plus, I find myself with more nostalgia towards So Jealous. On the other hand, The Con is hands down the best album they’ve created. Tegan and Sara was the band I needed in ninth grade, as they transitioned me over to the indie music I would later discover.

Age 18: Hospitality – Hospitality

main_Hospitality_480

This was the hardest age for me to choose an album for. I downloaded over 500 albums from the Mountain View library’s collection in my senior year alone. For most albums, I would be obsessed for a week or two and then lose interest. Hospitality’s album, though, stands out for how much the lyrics and overall style fit my senior year. The album addressed the millennial issue of disillusionment with becoming an adult and facing changes. I was, in general, overwhelmed with the idea of college and this album managed to keep me grounded. When I listen to this album now, the music still fits like a glove, complementing any mood I am in. It isn’t close to my favorite album, but I’ll always have a special place for it.