Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song

“Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song” is considered as the first film introduced for the rest of the following works of Blaxploitation. However, I found this article really nice and holds an interesting view on Blaxploitation. In the article, this one paragraph caught my attention, that I would like to use it as the conclusion.

“While Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song is ultimately set apart by its production, its politics and its innovative, expressive technique, it can be fully credited with having an influence on the genre that sprung up in its wake. Shaft may have had more of a hand in setting the template for what followed, but Van Peebles’ film also handily demonstrated the money making potential of courting the black movie-going public, being made for about $500,000 and generating more than $10 million. But again, it didn’t earn that sum for any fat cat exec (the New York Times called him “the first black man in show business to beat the white man at his own game”), nor was its success down to calculated pandering to a black audience, coming as it did from the very heart of the black struggle for liberation and self-determination. In the end, Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song can’t be considered a blaxploitation film because neither the film nor the circumstances of its creation carry any trace of exploitation, just empowerment.”

http://networkawesome.com/mag/article/dont-call-it-blaxploitation-sweet-sweetbacks-baadasssss-song/

My two questions: What is your opinion on the sex scenes in the film “Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song”? What do you find in the film that make it not an Blaxploitation film?