The Importance of Social Support

Social support is important for all of us in general, but it becomes increasingly important when we go through hard times. Social support plays a big role in how we handle situations and shapes our experiences, which is why I wanted to talk more about how social support affects us individually, and how it is a big contributing factor in succeeding. Social support is what we get from others, and there are different types of social support. Emotional support gives love and empathy and might come from a parent or a partner. Esteem support gives us value in our ideas, and accepts us with all of our faults, which might come from close friends and family. Tangible support can come in the form of money, helping with chores, or lending a hand. Informational support provides us with advice and feedback. Lastly, network support is when we feel a sense of membership within a group, perhaps at work or church. (Gruman, et al., 2017) All of these types of supports help in a different way, but they are all beneficial.

I say this because I look at my own situation a lot when it comes to the benefits or resources I’ve had through my social support group. I have benefited from each of these types of supports a lot. It makes me realize how lucky I am and how easy I have had it, because I know that even if I was lacking in just one of these types of supports, I would have had a harder time navigating life and everything I have been through. I have gotten a tremendous amount of emotional support from my parents, mainly as a single mother to one son. When my son’s father and I broke up, my family welcomed me home with open arms and more or less took care of both of us while I got back on my feet and started school. I received esteem support from other family and friends, and from coworkers, which was much needed, because the relationship I was coming from wasn’t great. My grandparents gave me tangible support, among other types, by helping me pay for school. My two closest friends gave me informational support more times than I can remember, giving me advice and feedback when I needed it most. I also had network support from coworkers. I had several other single mothers that I worked with that were either going through the same thing or had gone through it and ended up fine when all was said and done, which gave me hope.

I often think about everyone who has helped me in different ways, and what each provided me with, and how it helped me get to where I am now. I now have a loving boyfriend, my son is six, and we live together with our three dogs and another son on the way. From everything I went through as a young single mother, I can’t believe where I am now. Emotionally, mentally, physically, financially, and education wise. None of that would have happened without my social support group. People who have social support have been known to have fewer stressors and are more able to develop healthier habits. (Gruman, et al., 2017) This social support was instrumental for me, and it makes me think of the impact a lack of social support has on people. What about the single mothers who leave a bad situation with no loving family to take them in? What about someone with no close friends to act as sounding boards? What about people with no family member or partner to help out financially? How do those people make it? My life was hard, but it was made a lot easier than what some people have gone through, all because of my social support.

I think social support is extremely important, and it makes such a difference in everything we do. It’s the little things we don’t think of like our friend giving us a ride while our car is in the shop. Most of us have that go to person. Some people don’t even have that, not one person they can rely on to help them out. It is more than just support, it’s a give and take within that support system that helps us get through life in every way, every day. Poor social support has been linked to depression and loneliness, as well as increasing the risk for alcohol use, suicide, and even cardiovascular disease.( Cherry, 2023)  While social support is just a section in our book, it’s a whole story for me, one that I am very thankful for, and know that it is a privilege to have had the support I did, because not everyone does.

Gruman, J., Schneider, F., & Coutts, L. (Eds.) (2017). Applied social psychology. SAGE Publications, Inc, https://doi.org/10.4135/9781071800591

Cherry, K. (2023, March 3). A social support system is imperative for Health and well-being. Verywell Mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/social-support-for-psychological-health-4119970

3 comments

1. This was such an inspiring post. Social support is immensely powerful, and especially needed when one is going through a hard time. I am glad that you have such an empowering support system, and that you found your way out of a bad situation and into a healthy one. Congratulations by the way! Secondly, I think it’s important you note that some don’t have a support system making it more difficult to carry on throughout difficult situations. Take for example, someone in a bad relationship who wants out but feels it is all they have or can’t get out financially. The power of support is so strong.
    I was asked one day at work, why I sit and listen to everyone’s “sob stories” as they said. Taken aback, I explained to them that I don’t think of it as a sob story, or a trauma dump, I am a listener and a support system for these people, and if me listening is of any help, then I am absolutely going to do so.
    To me it feels like little things like being any sort of the support systems you mentioned in your post, can be “life changing”. In fact, a study was done to compare the effects of high versus low social support on study participants. The study measured the effects on blood pressure. If you are unsure why this is important, it is due to the fact that blood pressure is related to cardiovascular health. The results were shocking. People with adequate social relationships were 50 percent less likely to die than those with sparse social support. This effect is comparable to that of quitting smoking. (Dayton,2010)
    Subsequently, I would have to say that I agree immensely with your post. Having social support is key and is such an important factor in our lives. Great Job on this!
    Resources:
    Dayton, L. (2010, Oct 10). Social support may extend life: People with friends, family and community involvement were half as likely to die during study periods than those with sparse social support, survey finds. Chicago Tribune Retrieved from https://ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu/login?url=https://www.proquest.com/newspapers/social-support-may-extend-life/docview/757099739/se-2

2. I agree 100% that social support, in all it forms, is something that everyone should have. If they don’t have it now should slowly work towards having a support group. I remember a time when I was feeling isolated and lonely, it sucks. The head space you have in times of loneliness is painful, suffocated, and something no one should have to go through. However, once my now best friend and very close friends came to comfort me and accept me into their group, it made all the difference, knowing that if anything were to happen, I got some people that can support me. In return, if any of them need help, I will be there to support them as they have done for me in the past.

If you’re reading this, don’t look down on having available social support, it is linked to better wellbeing and overall health (Feeney, 2015). It brings both confidence and agency to your life, as making risky decisions or facing adversity won’t be end all. As having such a support group is a net waiting to help you whenever. This is in turn lowers the chance of social anxiety, as social anxiety is more prevalent in those who lack the belief that they can take on challenges (Gruman, 2017, pg. 112).

Reference:

Feeney, B. C., & Collins, N. L. (2015). A new look at social support: a theoretical perspective on thriving through relationships. Personality and social psychology review : an official journal of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, Inc, 19(2), 113–147. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088868314544222

Gruman, J. A., Schneider, F. W., & Coutts, L. M. (2017). Applied Social Psychology(3rd ed.). SAGE Publications, Inc. (US).

3. Social support is vital to us all. I think that all of us need it. Yes, there are numerous types of social support that you’ve mentioned. I had issues with social support as I didn’t see how I had a good support system. Nowadays, it has been better due to getting emotional, esteem, tangible, and informational support from those around me. I have great network support as I feel bonded and close-knit with those with similar interests and social friendships (Gruman et al., 2016). From experience, social support is a protective factor that helped me be better mentally. In the past, I had been depriving myself of having support as I always felt alone. Looking back, I did not see it clearly, but they were always there for me when I was at my lowest. Bjørlykhaug et al. (2021) claim that those with less social support may be more susceptible to mental health issues. It does help a person to be at their lowest point. It also mentions that low social support increases the probability of experiencing mental health disorders (Bjørlykhaug et al., 2021).
    Overall, social support is great. As you’ve said, the smallest acts can make a person’s day. For example, my sisters’ and I talk as much as we can when needed; that would be emotional support, as emotional support gives us empathy and security (Gruman et al., 2016). The small things make me happier and content that make me feel great; Good on you to seeing your social support group.

Resources:

Bjørlykhaug, K. I., Karlsson. B., Hesook, S. K. & Kleppe, L. C. (2021). Social support and recovery from mental health problems: a scoping review. Nordic Social Work Research. https://doi.org/10.1080//2156857X.2020.1868553

Gruman, J. A., Schneider, F. W., & Coutts, L. M. (2016). Applied Social Psychology(3rd ed.). SAGE Publications, Inc. (US).