In Class Stasis Theory RCL Post

What is the paradigm shift?

A paradigm shift is a transition from one way of thinking or from one set of beliefs to another. It encompasses the way that these views shifted and how they shifted to this current ideology.  It also results in a change in culture in the community or area that it has occurred in.  Even though beliefs and views change a lot, the paradigm shift focuses on the permanent aspect of this transition, instead of the more fleeting trendy side.

One of the paradigm shifts that I was thinking about focusing on is the culuture shift in America to a more accepting and tolerant view of the LGBTQ community.  I am interested in this because a lot of my friends were involved with the club at our school and it is a personal issue for them. Also, it is interesting to see how the transition from WWII where members of the community were persecuted and criminalized, to now where we have just legalized gay marriage.

Ethos

Facts

Definition

Actual Paradigm Shift I will be doing:

Paradigm Shift Paper: Change in women’s roles in the home

Fact:  From the mid-1900s family structure has moved away from a breadwinner-homemaker structure to one that is very diverse and harder to classify since more women are now in the workforce

Definition: Nuclear families are those that consist of married parents and dependent children. Breadwinner-homemaker structure is one in which the husband would be the main provider of income and the wife would keep the home in order.

Quality: Views of women have shifted which allow more women to now work outside the home and be more autonomous

Policy: Laws relating to divorce, benefits from marriage, rights of partners, common law marriages, financial responsibility etc.

2 Comments on In Class Stasis Theory RCL Post

1. pvb5171
    October 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm (9 years ago)

This is definitely an ongoing and drastic paradigm shift in the beliefs of society. There should be more than enough information out there to thoroughly analyze the subject, and I’m interested to hear what you have to say about the long-term impact of this shift (defining it as a shift instead of just a trend).

2. ksg5199
    October 30, 2015 at 11:59 am (9 years ago)

Sounds like you have a topic that you are interested in on a personal level. I think that passion will bring a lot to your paper and TED Talk.