RCL #10

For RCL blog, link to a favorite TED Talk from Ted.com and discuss what you like about it. How does it help you consider the set-up for your own topic?

Salman Khan

Lets’ use video to reinvent education

salman_kahn

In this video, Salman Khan discusses why and how he created Khan Academy, and what he sees for the potential future of not only American education, but that of the world.  For those who are not familiar with Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org) it is a not-for-profit organization that runs a website that helps to provide online education.  It is a series of educational videos offering curricula in math, science and other subjects. Their mission is to “provide a free, world‑class education for anyone, anywhere.” During his TED talk, Khan speaks of how he created Khan Academy, but then transitions into talking about where he sees the future of education going.  I like how he talks about the future of education by first sharing his personal story of helping to tutor his cousins.  He incorporates humor by self-deprecation which engages the audience and makes his story more powerful.  He also has a very natural way of speaking that doesn’t seem forced at all which gives a better flow to the talk.  I also like his enthusiasm and genuine excitement about the organization and the potential of education, it makes you like him so much more and his cause.  He also does a nice job of tying in how he sees this helping everyone, since the videos themselves are very individual, but how it can also “humanize” the classroom since it frees up more time to interact.  His message is very strong and clear and is also one that many people would see as good. This video helps me to consider the set-up for my own topic in a variety of ways.  I will probably try to incorporate something personal or relatable in order to create an overarching theme and connect the audience to the topic.  I will also try to be animated. I will also try to learn my topic so well that my talk doesn’t sound forced or memorized because that could be detrimental to the effectiveness of my presentation.

Image: http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education

5 Comments on RCL #10

1. Daniela
    November 10, 2015 at 3:11 pm (8 years ago)

This is a really good talk. I especially agree with how natural he seems when he speaks and how that adds to the flow of the TED talk. You have a good idea of what an effective TED style talk is so I think you will do really well on this assignment if you apply some of the things you pointed out in Kahn’s talk.

2. irh5018
    November 10, 2015 at 12:17 am (8 years ago)

Khan Academy was a huge thing for people although I have never used it. What you said about his Ted Talk gave me insight into mine. I liked how you analyzed how he used humor and relatable stories considering I think those are the most important part into keeping he audience engaged and getting your point across.

3. ksg5199
    November 6, 2015 at 5:42 pm (8 years ago)

The Khan Academy has worked miracles for me as someone pursuing engineering! I think you did a great job at highlighting the parts of his TED Talk that you liked and that you plan to incorporate in your own talk. I think you have a strong sense of what you want to do with your talk, which will definitely help it to be a success!

4. pvb5171
    November 6, 2015 at 3:02 pm (8 years ago)

Unfortunately for you, you probably won’t have the instant name recognition and established ethos of Salman Khan, but hopefully by imitating his model of humor, relatable stories, and supporting facts, your TED Talk will be just as effective!

5. dmd5795
    November 6, 2015 at 12:56 pm (8 years ago)

I love that he incorporated human by using self-deprecation. That is one way to easily connect to an audience because not only will they find it funny, most people will be able to relate in some way or another. I like how you describe him as passionate because that is very important to have in a speech. If you can model your speech after the way he created his you will be very successful!