Item: https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e3-c6a6-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

Item Identification:

• This item is a photograph titled “Marching Any Ol’ Way We Damn Well Please”
  • Photographed by Diana Davies
  • Captured June 28, 1970
  • This photograph has great historical significance because of both the unique content of the photograph and the photographer herself.

Item Annotation:

Of the few albums and collections of photographs I came across of the first few gay pride parades, this photograph stood out to me like no other. The content of this photograph is extremely symbolic and can be deeply studied. The expressions on the faces of the men carrying the sign reading “Christopher Street Gay Liberation Day 1970” is very serious. This is different than how you may picture most participants of gay pride parades today. The police behind these men are in full gear with their motorcycles, looking ready to shut down whatever they want. I see enormous symbolism in this photograph expressing how, although gay pride parades were a happy time of celebration, there was also an aspect to them (especially at the first one in 1970), which included a heavy experience of negative emotions, struggling and fighting for their human rights. Some people forget this at pride parades today, and I think it’s important to look back and study historic moments such as this to remember how we got here today.

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

Photograph by Diana Davies