Greek Crisis

Blog Post 1 Picture
On July 5th, 2015 Neil Erwin wrote an article discussing the economic problems in Greece. His claims were supports through facts and light emotional appeals. It is obvious that Greece is having major financial problems. Erwin addresses how those problems are being met. He states that Europe offered Greece a bail out deal which calls for them to make higher pension cuts and pay back debt as soon as possible. Greece responded with a “NO,” they do not want to take the bail out deal. In the article Erwin throws in a humorous phrase to lighten the load of severity of the matter “(Hint: If you are negotiating with Germany seeking debt relief, bringing up Nazi war reparations, as Mr. Tsipras has, isn’t the most effective approach.) While Erwin does an accurate job at illustrating what is happening in Greece he also throws in a fallacy. Stating: “The choice leaders have to make: If they tolerate the Greek government’s demands, they will be setting a bad example for every other country that might wish to challenge the structures of the European Union…. and the rest of Europe will pay the bill or if they refuse the Greek governments demands and cut off funds, the Greek banking system will collapse and the country will no longer be part of the Eurozone.” While these two are valid options that could happen, they are not the only possible solutions in the matter. The Greeks were willing to risk losing the euro in order avoid more punishment for their inability to handle money throughout history.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2015/07/05/world/americas/05reuters-pope-latam-ecuador-arrival.html
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02296/Greece_2296452b.jpg

5 thoughts on “Greek Crisis

1. I was actually in Greece a month and a half ago, so this is really interesting to me. I like the picture that you included, it really shows how big of a deal this is.

2. Great article. I like how you included a fallacy. I also like how you presented solutions to this problem . You also used the humor quote very well. This is definitely a serious issue, and articles like this make people aware of what’s REALLY going on.

3. I liked how you incorporated media such as pictures to your post. I also liked how you had quotes to really back up your claims!

4. Dakota, I really like how you pointed out the light emotional appeals along with the facts. After reading the article I agree that those are the two most convincing rhetorical appeals. I really liked the quote you chose to represent the “light emotional appeals”. This was a great blog post!