Five topics for my multi-media assignment

1) Military Appreciation

The military has impacted my life on many levels. Growing up my father would tell me stories from his years on a Naval ship. He taught me numerous life lessons and encouraged me to always do my best. In middle school I lost two very important people my Uncle John a Vietnam veteran, and my cousin Bobby who was killed in action 2007, Iraq. My Uncle John lost his leg from gang green caused by small particles of bomb shrapnel. My cousin Bobby gave the ultimate sacrifice for his family and his country and he was caught in a small arms fine in Bagdad. These two men have taught me so many life lessons and gave me a deeper appreciation for the men and women who risk their lives everyday to protect me and my rights.

Once I got to high school and joined the JROTC program, most of my friend group had a passion for the military as well. They became enlisted or deployed to locations such as Minnesota, Colorado, Germany and Korea. The structure and support system between us drastically changed over the last few years. At first, they were my protectors and support system through the awkward and embarrassing moments of my early years of high school and  at my weakest points following the death of my grandmother.  But soon the school years ended and my friends graduated and were then  shipped off to become American Heroes. It was then my responsibility to support them as they took on one of the toughest and most important jobs I can think of; defending our country.

With this topic I would either make a video or present stories in a blog format emphasizing their impact on my life and who I am today.

2) The Heart of a Champion

Going into high school, I followed the footsteps of my brother because he was a great role-model for me. He was in North Penn Marching Knights. He was very successful and had a great time. North Penn Marching Knights, unlike any other activity or sport at our high school, required focus and dedication from every member. In my sophomore year of high school we achieved the title of National Champions. This was a shock to everyone. It brought us to tears! No one in our school expected it either. The Marching Knights gained a lot of respect after that championship, which solidified my choice to follow my brothers footsteps and join the band.

I’ll use blog or video to capture the memories of these impressive moments.

3) Skin Cancer

Growing up my mother had skin cancer. In fact, today she went through her fourteenth surgery. Although everything went as planned, it is still a scary thought that my mother has cancer in her system. After her surgeries, she is physically and emotionally stressed. While the stitches are healing she is unable to do any cooking or cleaning, which are activities she finds relaxing. It is really hard to see her in this condition. These problems could have been solved with the usage of skin products, such as sunscreen. My mom always tells me that her biggest regret is not taking care of her skin when she was younger. I always see my friends following in her footsteps, and it scares me.

With this topic I’ll use a blog to share experiences or podcast to make a PSA.

4) Penn State Silks

At the age of five I began going to Penn State games with my family. Since I was so young, they wouldn’t actually bring me into the game, they would leave me outside with my uncle. It was at these games when I picked up my first flag. Everyone thought it was the cutest thing. They began to buy me flags and I’d practice at home. When I got into middle school, there was a program that offered Guard. I joined immediately. I began to learn the ropes of guard and got really good. My dream was to bring my guard experience back to where it all began: Penn State. When I was accepted into Penn State, my dream began to seem like a reality. I was so nervous trying out for silks, but I made it. I will never forget the first time I went out of the tunnel and saw my lifelong dream come true.

I’ll present this topic as a blog.