📓 Project Blog

📄 Project Document (PDF)

All in the Process is a documentary short following the process of ceramicist Anna Louise.

This project significantly highlights Anna’s ceramic craftsmanship but also strives to understand the motivation steering her craft. The challenge is not solely to share the beautifully crafted ceramics but to interrogate the intent behind the ceramic process.

My process of documenting her process was/is an ongoing series of observations and questions; while trying my best not to intrude significantly but to join in the flow of the studio. I joined each moment by placing myself and my camera in intentional positions where I could capture the most intriguing compositions. In some instances, as Anna would throw the clay on the wheel, I felt so close to the clay that I should hold my breath, afraid that it would interrupt as she stretched and shaped mounds of clay into new forms.

My hope for this documentary short is that people of all different backgrounds can relate to the creative process or be inspired to create something of their own. If not inspired to create, I wish for this to be a visual experience that allows the viewer to be fully engulfed in the sound and tactile imagery of the ceramic studio environment; with the hopes of easing the viewer’s mind of wandering thoughts by granting a meditative outlet comprised of viewing Anna as she shapes the clay and reflects on the process itself.