Oh The Places You’ll Go!

you're on your own

Over spring break, I spent countless hours staring at my computer screen, trying to figure out what to do with my life, what to major in, and what career to work towards. Let me begin by saying that I did not get very far. After printing out dozens of degree audits and reading about majors across the board, I found myself nowhere closer to a goal then I was when I began. As I took breaks from my research, I caught up with some of my friends still in high school. I often found our conversations revolving around college and where my friends had decided to go. As I sat through these conversations, I began to realize how different college and high school really are. Throughout high school, I had one main goal. Do well in classes, stay involved in activities, and get into a good college. There was more to my life then just schoolwork of course, but getting into college was my main goal. In order to do so, I knew exactly what I had to do. I had to study, take the hardest classes I could handle, and do well on exams. Everything I needed was planned out for me, I had little decisions to make and merely had to stay on track.

Upon coming to college, this all changed. Yes, if I knew what I wanted to major in, this would be very similar to high school. Take the necessary classes, do well, the same old story. However, as an undecided student, I have decisions to make. I have talked about this decision with everyone around me including my parents, my brother, my friends, and my adviser, but no one is able to tell me exactly what I should do. I have realized that this is something I need to decide for myself, and that the older I get, the more decisions I am going to have to make on my own. I find it interesting that Dr. Seuss, a children’s author, embodies this idea so perfectly in his story, Oh the Places You’ll Go! When I first heard this story when I was little, this line held no significance to me, but today, reading it again, it epitomizes what I am going through. College is the first step in growing up and truly making lives for ourselves. What we decide and do in these four years is essentially our own decision. Personally, I the thought of making my own decisions makes me wish I was back in high school, but it is something no one can avoid. How are you handling growing up? Have you decided where you’ll go?

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Oh The Places You’ll Go!

1. I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thank you, I?¦ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?

2. I don’t unremarkably comment but I gotta say appreciate it for the post on this special one : D.

3. Its wonderful as your other content : D, thanks for posting.

4. AR 10 says:

I like the efforts you have put in this, regards for all the great posts.

5. I really like your writing style, fantastic info, appreciate it for putting up :D. “Every moment of one’s existence one is growing into more or retreating into less.” by Norman Mailer.

6. I conceive you have noted some very interesting points, appreciate it for the post.

7. Regards for helping out, good information. “In case of dissension, never dare to judge till you’ve heard the other side.” by Euripides.

8. I do accept as true with all the ideas you have introduced for your post. They are very convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for starters. May just you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

9. I believe this site has got very excellent pent subject material blog posts.

10. Woh I like your articles, saved to my bookmarks! .

11. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, but I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It¦s pretty value enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the web can be much more helpful than ever before.

12. Greetings I am so grateful I found your web site, I really found you by error,
    while I was looking on Google for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thanks
    for a remarkable post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I
    don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have saved it
    and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great
    deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

13. Yoga, as a kind of sport and exercise, is a wonderful practice.
    Just combine yoga with another exercise to build up on endurance.
    There can be a lot of joy as well as much discomfort.

14. Frin says:

I read this article completely on the topic of the resemblance
    of latest and earlier technologies, it’s amazing article.

15. Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one’s site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

16. Sam Kantner says:

You are totally right. We have so much freedom in deciding where we end up in life. College and high school are definitely different. In high school, we are forced to attend every class. College gives us the freedom to skip classes if we want (though that would be an ill-advised decision). In high school, I just worried about getting good grades and positioning myself to get into a good college. Now that I’m here, I’ve shifted my focus a bit. I don’t plan on attending graduate school (most in my major don’t attend grad. school), so now I’m focusing on positioning myself for the “real-world.” While this still means doing well academically, I’m also focusing on marketing myself to potential companies for potential internships/jobs.

I feel as though I’ve matured by 10 years in the span between my high school graduation and today. I have the freedom to do whatever I want (sort of). It’s an odd feeling. It’s hard to imagine that in a few years, I’ll be (hopefully) working a full-time job at some company, having to wear a suit and tie every day.

17. Kate Rouleau (Section 9, 137H) says:

This post actually reflects what I’ve been thinking about today as well. I took a minute and realized just exactly how much freedom and choice I’ve been given and taken advantage of as a student. I really prize the independence and life lessons I have learned and/or learned the hard way. It is really wonderful being in control, and simultaneously free falling.