Mondrianimation

Here it is! At last complete, my Mondrianimation!

As mentioned before, the Mondrianimation is the first official project of the semester and I’ve already learned so much.

The complete project is in a playblast but the rendering option was available. Rendering, in short, presents a cleaner, smoother version of the video. The problem with it is that it is time consuming and takes a certain amount of power. It wasn’t a requirement for this project so I opted it out. Maybe I’ll revisit rendering sometime in the future. Changing the background color was also an option, but I like the grey. Again, for reference, here is the piece I chose to model:

mondrian_composition_1921

My work flow was great, better than anticipated. I gave myself enough time to explore most, if not all, of my options for the project, in terms of cameras and timing. In other words, I wasn’t stressed about meeting the deadline which made the process – dare I say – fun. I also got a feel for how long certain things take in Maya, like timing key frames. Timing is definitely something that took time to refine. It’s something I’ll continue to work on throughout the course.

I’m also thinking that I like animating more than modeling. Granted, there wasn’t an extensive amount of modeling for this project, but I found myself more engaged in camera angles and keys. The next project is a modeling project so that may well change.

Overall, I liked the project. It isn’t perfect but I like the result and I’m proud of my work. I was worried about Maya getting the best of me, but so far –

– Gigi, 1, Maya, 0.