Kolb’s Learning Style Inventory Results

When I completed the Kolb Learning style inventory quiz, it became pretty apparent that the scenarios presented were meant to sift the user into one of 4 types of categories: observer, active, intuitive, logical. Some of the prompts seemed redundant, and about half way through it was obvious that I learn by doing. I have become more aware of my learning style in the last few years. Maybe it’s the awareness that comes with aging (Hellloooooooooo 40!) or maybe it’s because I’ve been struggling a bit over the last few years while I try to understand what I’m good at and what I want to do with the rest of my life.

The Kolb Inventory told me that I’m primarily an “Initiating” and “Acting” style, with a little of “Experiencing” and “Balancing” mixed in. Here’s what the booklet we were provided says about my primary styles:

Initiating learning style strengths:

• Committing yourself to the objectives
  • Seeking new opportunities
  • Influencing and leading others

Challenges:

• Controlling impulse to act (um, yah!)
  • Listening to others’ views (perhaps)
  • Impatience (do these people have a hidden camera in my house?!)

Acting learning style strengths:

• Combining technical knowledge and personal relationships
  • Focused on getting things done
  • Leading work teams

Challenges:

• Taking time to reflect
  • Solving the right problem
  • Gathering and analyzing information

Some of these strengths and challenges statements and the other descriptors presented in the booklet are spot on. Some of the statements about those that learn as I do, I loved: “seen as spontaneous, energetic, persuasive and courageous”! Who wouldn’t love that?! But there are some harsh truths in these statements too. The creators of the Kolb booklet correctly identified instances that hold me back or that sometimes make me seem less than prepared: “prefer action over reflection and sometimes commit to an idea without considering its consequences and alternative options or solutions.” Guilty. Guilty. Guilty.

In reviewing and pondering my results, I quickly related this information to my married life, because in many ways, my husband and I are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. While I’m quick to act, he’s always thinking things through. While I’m succinct (in most cases), he elaborates to what feels like is the nth degree. The best example of our differences is our approaches in the kitchen. When I think of something I want to make, I start making it. Many times to find out half way through that I don’t have all the ingredients that the recipe calls for. While I think of this as a challenge and we’ve experienced some fun foods because of my forced improvisations in the kitchen, to my husband, entering into such a task with no, or very little preparation most certainly forebodes failure. His approach is measured, neat even. He carefully reviews a recipe, lines up every single ingredient, ensures that we have every tool necessary to complete the directions in an efficient manner, and then finally, begins. And, as his final performance, he puts every single ingredient away after he’s added it to the dish. I tend to stock pile items and then put it everything away at one time when I’m finished with the task at hand. While I appreciate the final product when he cooks, the wait through the process usually induces some “hanger” (hunger induced anger) on my behalf and perhaps even a few choice words (see “impatience” under “Challenges” above).

While I don’t feel as though I learned anything earth shattering by completing the Kolb Learning Style Inventory, I do feel a renewed awareness of why I do the things that I do. For better or for worse.

One thought on “Kolb’s Learning Style Inventory Results

1. This made me laugh out loud – putting away the ingredients as you make the dish. That is very me! The cooking analogy works really well as an example in this case. As we continue to explore leadership we’ll talk a lot about being “authentic” and not trying to adopt a leadership philosophy just because you respect it in someone else. Your style has to reflect you. Looking at your next blog and your focus on people, I see a great connection. Being aware of who we are and what we’re good, getting to know those we work with (and lead) and then creating a team where each individual is recognized and valued for what they bring to the group. That also means that the leader recognizes when they need to defer to others based on team strengths/dynamics. Easier said than done for many.

Keep blogging!