RSS Feed

Elections

September 11, 2014 by Hannah Conroy   

Elections are civic events present here at Penn State, in my hometown, and all over the world. Elections hold a lot of meaning; they represent the whole of a community coming together to make their voice heard. They are also a representation of the great privileges we have here in America. We can go out and tell our representatives what we want they do, after we get to choose them. We decide what happens in our community, and we decide who gets to make it happen.  Elections are meaningful civic events, the people are making their voice heard, and exercising a right that not everyone has.

Election day can be a bit chaotic; I have never voted or worked at a polling place, but I have witnessed the election day chaos at my high school, which was a polling place. The lines to vote can be very long as everyone tries to vote after work or on their lunch break. Also, the number of choices on a ballot can overwhelming, sometimes there are candidates for positions you have never heard of (what exactly does a county commissioner do?). However, once you get into the voting booth and make your choices, you have participated in a great event of democracy. You have exercised your right to have a say in government.

Elections occur within the larger context of a democracy. they are just one aspect of participation. Citizens can also write letters to elected officials, campaign for candidates, and introduce legislation through referendums (in certain states). However, none of this can happen without elections and voters. I think elections, and other forms of political participation, can produce real change.

Elections are a demonstration of the power citizens hold over the government, a direct line between the citizens and what gets done in government. Voting and elections are very important forms of civic engagement everywhere they are held and within the larger of context of democracy.

1 Comment »

1. Ryan Thomas Winthrop says:

I agree with your statement that elections “are a demonstration of power”. We do have a vote and more people need to use it. I personally need to get more involved with politics and government. Elections are a great form of civil engagement, good idea!

You must be logged in to post a comment.