Civic Issues

Looking Back and Looking Forward

I think we have definitely covered a lot of interesting topics of discussions this semester in our collective civic issue blogs. I have to admit that college sports on campus was not actually my first choice of topic, and at first I was a little disappointed with the assignment, but in the end, I am glad that I got the chance to explore more into this and learn more about other perspectives as well.

I think the most interesting thing I learned through this civic issue is how many different things are wrapped up in college sports. We have written about the power of the NCAA, and it is costs and benefits. We have written about how athletics and sports affect the social scene on campus. We have written about the funding and revenue of sports in a university. I think I really did not expect this topic to be so full of different ideas when it was first assigned. In a way, I think this makes it even more interesting looking back over the semester of blogging. College sports on campus might seem on the surface to be a simple issue when compared with some of the other topics like climate change or gender roles. But in fact, there are so many different ways to approach the discussion of college sports, and different people will have totally different ideas and perspectives on these approaches. For many people, college sports are very linked to family or culture, and can be seen as almost sacred. Others might view sports as a distraction from academics or a waste of money from the university. It is very difficult to weigh the pros and cons of sports culture as well. Sports on campus can unite the school and contribute to a feeling of community and school spirit. However, overvaluing sports, or placing athletes and coaches on a pedestal can create huge problems, which we are certainly all too familiar with here at Penn State especially. And there are no right answers to these discussions either.

I think it is really impossible to write out all the good and bad things about college sports on campus. Like most things, there are many negatives and there are many positives. In my opinion, overall I think sports on campus are a positive addition to a university. I think the school spirit that sports foster is extremely important. I think sports can help a college go from being a collection of students to a real community. However, I think there are still many problems with college sports on campus. While I do feel that overall the pros outweigh the cons, I think it is important to pay just as much attention to the negative sides of sports on campus. This balance is definitely not something that is usually looked at, especially when it comes to college sports. I think a lot of time, the media can only paint the positives, but I think we need to remember that there are many negative sides to college sports as well. This is definitely something we have talked a lot about through our blogs this semester, and it has made me realize how complex this issue is.

As I continue with my time here at Penn State, I am sure I will continue to see the issue of college sports all around campus, and I will definitely be more aware of the different perspectives that influence how sports affect college life. Especially as a student athlete, sports will certainly continue to be a big part of my life, so I am sure there will be a lot to think about these next few years and beyond as well. I am sure that there will be many changes to the world of college sports in the future, and it will be interesting to look back on these discussions as changes unfold over time.

2 thoughts on “Looking Back and Looking Forward

1. mwm5431

The issue of college sports is very complex, and I’m glad we all got to dive deeper into the topic this semester. I agree that the overall pros of college sports outweigh the cons, but the cons should definitely be considered. In the end, I feel like the overemphasis placed on college sports is the reason for the many cons, but right now I don’t see a clear answer to solve this problem. I don’t see college sports ever going away, but I hope that in the future some of its issues can be resolved.

2. Amelia June Hare

I agree about the topic assignment. When I got sports, I wasn’t really looking forward to writing a post about it every week. But the more I explored the issue and the more I learned from an athlete’s perspective, the more I realized that this was a relevant issue that provoked a lot of discussion. My knowledge of campus sports and sports policies has increased dramatically and helped me to establish a more informed opinion on this topic that I will experience for the rest of my college years.