Psychoanalysis

In the early 1900’s, a man who became known as “The Founder of Psychoanalysis” emphasized the importance of childhood experiences. Today, Sigmund Freud’s theory is still useful and relatable in everyday life. Freud focused on the early mind, and believed personality was formed in the first 6 years of life. The idea of psychoanalysis focused on the belief that childhood experiences greatly influenced the development of later personality traits and psychological problems. He emphasized the idea of an “unconscious mind”. I can personally relate to the idea that childhood events can develop later psychological problems. When I was about six or seven, I was in the car with my mom driving through a torrential down pour. I vividly remember coming to a curve in the road, skidding, and crashing into a tree. I remember having to be pulled out of the car, and having to see my mom full of panic and terror. The scream that came from my mom as we skid will forever replay in my head each time that I drive in bad weather.  I had an excessive amount of nightmares about the crash, and to this day it still effects me. I did not notice the great effect that this crash had on me until I got my license, and was able to drive by myself for the first time. The first time that it rained, even just a drizzle, the fear that came upon me was unexplainable.  All that I could picture was my mom’s car up against the tree. I mentally could not drive, and had to pull over until the rain stopped. After this experience, I realized that even something that happened so long in the past could so drastically affect present events.  Also, Freud believed that in order to overcome psychological problems rooted form childhood, one must face that specific event.  Relating to Freud’s belief, in order to overcome my fears, I had to drive with my mom several times in the rain before I was able to drive by myself successfully. Driving in the rain is such an insignificant task for many people, but a simple childhood event can make mindless tasks huge obstacles. To this day, 3 years after having my license, and 12 years after the incident, I still got anxious and uneasy every time I am forced to drive in the rain. Clearly, Sigmund Freud’s idea that childhood experiences could lead to psychological problems is evident through my own experiences.