The Art of Persuasion

Chapter 3: Rhetorical Activities Question 3:

Rhetoric, persuasion, heated arguments, etc are a part of everyday life. People are constantly trying to persuade someone to agree with their beliefs, views, ideas, while the other party can either be impartial or strongly opposed. Nowadays, debates generally turn into heated arguments that include one or both parties spatting over a topic that goes nowhere. A correct way to debate a topic includes components of levelheadedness, self-control, and great tact. People respond well to calm debate, and even if the other person loses their cool, this does not mean that you should return the insults. A person is more willing to listen to your perspective if you come at them as an equal, with a calm tone, without prejudice. If someone is willing enough to listen to your side of the debate, you should do them the courtesy of allowing them to share their opinions. Arguments generally escalate because one of both persons do not have the ability of distancing themselves from their emotions for long enough to just listen and process the information. Most debates never end in the other person being persuaded to completely accept your views, however, continual debate makes people think about other opinions than their own, either confirming their own beliefs, or testing them to change. Up in your face, preaching the “facts”, and hot-headed attitudes are unnecessary and generally ineffective. For myself, I automatically shut down to someone when they begin to attack my opinions when trying to justify theirs. However, I am open to listening to them if they do so in a way that is not overbearing or attacking. Something to remember about persuasion, is that you might never actually persuade anyone, but in the process you will either confirm your own convictions, or change your own opinions. I respond best to logic, however emotional appeal can be used with great effect.

Comments
One Response to “The Art of Persuasion”
  1. miv5099 says:

I agree that the “up in your face, preaching the ‘facts’, and hot-headed attitudes” definitely do not help any sort of disagreement move forward. These strategies promote your opinion, but do not necessarily make people want to listen to you and have an intelligent conversation about how the situation can be remedied. I feel that the American public now sees our political system in this way, and that gives it a very negative reputation. Indeed, in an article I just read by the Pew Research Center, it has been proven that American politics are becoming more polarized, which probably contributes to this view. Like you, I believe that logical appeals and an intellectual discussion are the best remedy for any sort of disagreement.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.