PAS2 Ballroom Dance!

I have oballroomnly been to a few lessons, but I think I have a new love. With my background in lindy hop and swing, I wasn’t sure what ballroom dance would be like. After learning basic two-step, foxtrot, and salsa steps, I am ready to sign on for a lifetime of this new type of dance.

All young college students know what the dancing is like at most parties and events. While the type of dancing (if it could be called that) which occurs at most of these events obviously has certain “draws”, I could never bring myself to participate when I was with a girl who I was really interested in. It is not for lack of passion or interest. It just seems impossible to be truly intimate! In ballroom dance, I have glimpsed something of what is missing at the familiar dances and parties.

Ballroom dance allows you to connect to your partner, and to dance, in a way which I have not experienced before. When the music begins, we link hands, and move close together. I can feel the pulse of the music, and when I look into her eyes I see she can too. And then we are swept off, gliding across the floor, rfoxtroteaching to match the natural elegance and grace of our mental image of this dance.

At first, it felt strange for me, this generous trust between two who had barely met. Rotating partners frequently during class keeps this continuous cycle of new trust repeating for hours. Witnessing this process was, for me,  like seeing a miracle happen again, and again, and again. At some point, I wondered “Why am I so moved by this simple act of trust? Why is it so surprising?”. After all, at Penn State people are constantly meeting nSalsaew people, risking rejection for the possibility of a future friendship.

There is a major difference. If I were to walk up to a girl I have never met completely out of the blue, take her hand, look into her eyes, and introduce myself, I would likely earn myself a slap, or at the very least a dismissive, defensive response (this may be an interesting experiment to conduct sometime). At ballroom dance practice, however, this type of interaction is perfectly normal and just good manners. For the brief time that we are together, we set aside our fear, our prejudice, our anxiety. We share our physical space with one another, as well as our mental space. We focus on one another, maintaining awareness of the other person’s body and mind to make the dance work.

There need not be a romantic connection for the dance to go well, although I do believe dancing ballroom with a love interest would be amazing. But there definitely exists a close connection, for the time of the dance, which lays us bare before our partner. I think that ballroom dancing is beautiful, because it allows us to meet someone in such a perfect way. Few words are required, but the connection formed from a brief dance is special and will not be soon forgotten.

I am just a beginner in the world of ballroom, but I have seen something in it that I did not anticipate. This adventure can only get better from here, as I improve through lessons and practice (and watching ballroom on youtube). I am very grateful that I discovered ballroom dancing now, while I still have plenty of time in college to explore it and develop this new interest.

quote_with_picture

Comments

1. Meg, I can see where you are coming from with your discussion of intimacy, and I’ll get to that in a second here. But first, I am not in the Ballroom Dance class. Penn State has a Ballroom Dance Club that meets multiple times per week. You are welcome to come try it out… you would not be the only person there with two left feet! I am just a beginner as well.

Back to your point about intimacy in dancing…

in·ti·ma·cy (nt-m-s)
    1. close or warm friendship or understanding; personal relationship
    2. (often plural) Euphemistic sexual relations

Clearly, my image of intimacy is in agreement with the first definition. Grinding/freaking etc do not satisfy my mental image of intimacy. I think that it requires tenderness, and has a certain empathic quality. I want to know what the other person feels like, and I want to sincerely care about how they feel.While physical contact and sexuality may be a natural part of this, they are secondary in many more traditional forms of dance, while selfish sexual gratification seems to be the primary motivation for popular forms of club style dancing.

2. Meg Zuccato says:

I completely agree with your point about what “dancing” is like today; however, I think the problem isn’t that it’s impossible to be intimate but that it’s way TOO intimate. I’ve never been drawn to ballroom dancing (maybe because I’m woefully uncoordinated) but I see your point about how the different experience can be very intriguing. Are you taking the ballroom dancing course at Penn State? If so, it’s really cool that you can find something outside of your normal interests that you’re so passionate about, and it’s awesome that Penn State could provide that opportunity.

Speak Your Mind