Free Rice

As honors students, we have become masters at the art of multi-tasking. Our time management skills are put to the test as we try to juggle our academics with other clubs, sports, friends, leisure, jobs, volunteer, and don’t forget sleep! Multi-tasking just happens to be my specialty, as well. This is why I am such an enthusiastic advocate for Free Rice. Free Rice is a non-profit website that successfully combines academics and service into one activity. For every question answered correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated through the World Food Programme to help end hunger. The website has two main goals. First, it wants to provide education to everyone for free. Second, it wants to help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free. It almost seems too great to be true, right? These are two outstanding causes, bettering both yourself and others at the same time. No matter who you are or where you come from, education is a great investment. However, the even greater investment is helping provide a food source to starving people. The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting against hunger, and is funded entirely by voluntary donations. 

I was introduced to Free Rice in middle school. However, this course has made me more aware of the rhetorical elements incorporated into the website. First of all, the opening “home page” immediately displays an english vocabulary multiple choice question. I believe the intent behind this was to show the viewer how simple the process of donating rice can really be. The opening question is an elementary-level vocabulary word, which encourages people of all ages that they can participate in the event. The casual observer also doesn’t have to look very far to see where they can begin participating. The left hand column contains pictures of rice and serves as a representation of how quickly and easily the rice can add up. The website seems to portray that each and every person has the ability to make a difference. By donating just a few minutes of your time, you can provide someone with a meal for the day. The right-hand column displays a “How to Play” tutorial outlining the rules of the review games for first-time visitors. There is a “New Subjects” link that allows you to change from English to humanities, math, language learning, sciences, english, chemistry, geography, or test preparation. This enables Free Rice to cater to a wider audience, offering yet another reason to participate. Overall, I thought Free Rice did an excellent job of portraying their mission. It was clear, innovative, and definitely convinced me to take part in the endeavor to end world hunger. Check it out for yourself!!

http://freerice.com/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Free Rice

1. Megan Flaherty says:

Kelly,
    Your analysis for this website was spot on. I, like Alyson, have never heard of this organization before, but it really is a great cause and the use of rhetoric is obviously displayed on the site. Its always nice to learn of new organizations that are working towards great causes in an easy way that can get everyone involved. The concept of the site in engaging everyone to participate in a fun game for a great cause is perfect and Im really glad I am aware of it now. Thanks!

2. amg5834 says:

Kelly,

I’ve never heard of this organization, but it seems really cool! Donating ten grains of rice for every question answered correctly is a very interesting tactic in attracting donations. People always love a challenge, and trivia for that matter! Just think about how many viewers the show, “Jeopardy” must have. Also, the organization is effective in allowing EVERYONE to work for a good cause, like you said. People don’t need a spare dollar on them. Essentially, all they need is their brain. Good analysis!