Influential Films: Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

For my third entry of influential films throughout the decades, I could not resist talking about one of the most iconic movie musicals of all time and one of my personal favorites…Singin’ in the Rain. I must preface this by saying that if you have not watched this joyful piece of cinema, please add it to your bucket list of films to watch. There is no bad time to watch this movie. Sick in bed? Gene Kelly and Donald O’Connor’s dancing will put a smile on your face. Feeling sad? Donald O’Connor’s “Make ‘Em Laugh” will surely turn that frown upside down.

But apart from being considered by many as the greatest Hollywood musical ever made, this film depicts the trials and tribulations endured by actors and filmmakers when sound was introduced, causing the transition from silent films to “talkies.” This process launched the careers of stars such as Gene Kelly’s character Don Lockwood while destroying the established careers of others such as Jean Hagen’s character Lina Lamont, who has a comically screechy-toned voice. While this storyline serves as a comedic plot line in the beloved film, it was a reality for many silent film actors who did not make the transition to talking films.

On a lighter note, the main aspect of this film that I adore is the choreography, for I took dance classes for 13 years before coming to college, so I have an immense appreciation for dancing in movies. Gene Kelly and Donald ‘O Connor are tap-dancing legends (which is my favorite style of dance). In Singin’ in the Rain, the duo expertly perform the number “Moses Supposes,” which I highly suggest you watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCb1rEoDvo. Kelly and O’Connor’s synchronistic movements and animated facial expressions make this dance mesmerizing to witness. Those who do not have dance experience may not realize the extreme athleticism that is involved in performing a dance of this caliber.

Debbie Reynolds, who was 19 at the time of filming, had “never danced” before being cast alongside Kelly (who was 40 at the time) and O’Connor. She endured 15-hour dance rehearsals that reportedly left her feet bleeding. At one point, Reynolds hid under a piano sobbing about how hard the work was and that she would never succeed. She was comforted by none other than Fred Astaire, who invited her to watch one of his dance rehearsals and see him struggle to learn the steps that he would later make look effortless on screen. He told her, “It never gets easier. This is the way it is. You go learn it.”

And she did.

I started this post to talk about how amazing the film Singin in the Rain is, but I was inspired to learn about the tough reality that Debbie Reynolds faced before the film launched her to stardom. Her dancing on screen looks effortless, just like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly (who performed the “Singin’ in the Rain” sequence with a 103 degree fever).

Singin’ in the Rain is a timeless classic that continues to dazzle audiences 72 years after its release.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Singin-in-the-Rain-film-1952

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-debbie-reynolds-and-singin-in-the-rain-have-brightened-my-life/2016/12/29/31f3080a-ce0d-11e6-a87f-b917067331bb_story.html

One thought on “Influential Films: Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

1. Hey Adeline, great post! This was super fun to read and I am a huge musical movie fan! Keep up the great work 🙂