WFED 573: Blog Reflection 5

Who do you perceive as the exemplary performers related to the competency areas that you identified as your most important areas for personal improvement? What can/have you learned from them? (You do not have to name the individuals, but you can describe them.):

Based on the Leadership and Professional Development Competency Self-Assessment provided in our Lesson 07 Competency Based assignment, the three most important competencies that I would like to improve upon are: 1) Interpersonal Relationship Building, because I scored a 2 on both Importance and Development Need; 2) Management Controls, because I scored a 1 on both Importance and Development Need; and 3) Leading Change, because I scored again both a 2 on Importance and Development Need.  I think my low ratings are the reason for improvements.

— All this being said, the exemplary performers (related to the competency areas where I’m lacking), are my new boss, Stephen, and my old Lead/Supervisor, Kara.  These two individuals are very good leaders to me and support me when I run into obstacles, such as needing the right resources to complete a demand/project.  They get along with everyone, and because of that I believe that they have good Interpersonal Relationship Building.  I also think they are exemplary with Leading Change because they have been in leadership roles for several years, and have helped lead their staff (including me) when faced with organizational changes.

Author: mjh487

I am college student at Penn State working on an M.Ed. in Training & Development. I work in Higher Education, specifically with testing software applications used to administrate grants and loans. My hobbies consist of yoga, kayaking, skiing and traveling abroad.