A Balancing Act

This time I am taking a break from talking about how the dining halls are frustrating, I’m going to talk about how baking with allergies can be just as daunting but infinitely more fun. Growing up we always had an EpiPen in the house. Not having one around meant that if we were to cook chicken in the house, there could be a trip to the hospital. Since nobody wanted that, we would set up a fan in the kitchen to blow the air out of the house. While this is no longer the case in my house, we still have interesting setups for cooking. For example, did you know when you bake cookies with flour you still inhale the gluten? My mom learned that one the hard way. Now, one way we make cookies together is to split up the tasks. She helps set up and get everything except the flour measured and once all that’s left is the flour, she steps out of the room. While this process isn’t perfect, it works for us. Having cookies in the fall and winter is a must. We have adapted to each of our allergies. Granted baking with allergies is like running across a tight rope. You either make it through (without reactions) or you don’t.