A Big Debut for Starbucks

I absolutely LOVE to go to Starbucks when its decorated for winter since it pretty much looks like Christmas threw up in the store because of all the decorations, music and change in menu Starbucks makes. However, this holiday season Starbucks debuted a new drink to their winter collection, which is something they had not done in five long years. This beverage is the Chestnut Praline Latte, and it is now being served next to the Starbucks winter famous drinks like the Peppermint Mocha and the Caramel Brulee. I tried the Chestnut Praline Latte tonight when I was coming back from a project field trip for my EGEE 102H class, and let me tell you guys, this beverage is AMAZING! However, it doesn’t just taste amazingly sweet and yummy, but it smells SO GOOD! I am not kidding, but if this where in a perfume bottle I would seriously purchase it and use it everyday.

The Chestnut Praline Latte is different than the rest of the Starbucks winter drinks since its taste is so soft and smooth compared to the rest of the winter drinks. For instance, this beverage does not have a bold after taste like the Peppermint Mocha that will take you by surprise 10 seconds after you take a sip, instead the Chestnut Praline Latte will sweeten your mouth and smoothly go down giving you a nice warm sensation in your mouth similar to the sensation oven fresh baked cookies leave you with. Additionally, the Chestnut Praline Latte has crunchy-spiced praline crumbs that give you a nice little something to bite on after you indulge your drink. Nevertheless, the best part about this drink is that it is not fatting at all, in comparison to the other Starbucks winter beverages. A short (7 oz.) Chestnut Praline Latte only has 190 calories from which 70 are from fat. A tall (12 oz.) Chestnut Praline Latte has 270 calories from which 100 are from fat. The grande (16 oz.)Chestnut Praline Latte has 330 calories from which 120 are form fat. The venti (20 oz.) has 440 calories from which 140 are from fat.

Recreating this beverage is a little bit more complicated but if your culinary techniques are good, or if you simply want to give it a try, fallow this is the recipe:

1. Boil milk of your choice and stir it until it begins to bubble.
  2. On a separate pan, begin caramelizing some crumbled chestnut, by slowly adding honey to the pan.
  3. After the milk has been boiled add 1 to 2 shots of espresso and mix it all together before adding it to a mug.
  4. Add 1-2 pumps of spiced caramel syrup

5.Once your coffee is in a mug top it with whipped cream and add the caramelized chestnut

3 thoughts on “A Big Debut for Starbucks

1. amm6988

An interesting drink, to be sure! I’ve never considered myself a pralines guy, nor do I think this drink makes me want to try them again. However, it sounds like starbucks has found an outstanding compliment to their preexisting wintry menu. I like how you keep adding the directions on how to make the drink each week. Nice job!

2. Taylor Nicole Reynolds

I’m actually so excited to try this now… I tried the peppermint mocha and gingerbread latte for the first time yesterday and I agree with you, the after tastes are staggering. I need something sweet and smooth. The crunchy-spiced praline crumbs sound really good too. I always love how you include the recipe, that’s always been a great idea. Not too sure about my cooking skills, but I may have to give it a shot over break. Good job!

3. Erin Corrigan

Hey Melanie!
    I was actually thinking that you might review this new drink, and I’m really glad you did because I noticed it on the menu the other day, and was wondering if it was any good! It also seems really easy to make, so I’m glad you included that in! Great blog, keep it up 🙂