The Big Short

“The Big Short” is a complex, but beautifully crafted movie that showcases multiple different perspectives of the 2008 financial/housing crisis. While I thoroughly enjoyed this movie the first time I watched it, it actually took me a second watch to fully understand the whole story. 

It focuses on four investors who made money by predicting and betting on the subsequent collapse of the housing market and American economy. The film obviously covers a very complex and heavy topic, but one of its greatest traits is its ability to still appeal to all audiences and be a good movie for anyone to watch. 

One way it does this is through its consistent incorporation of humor. Even in the midst of the most serious parts of the movie, there are genuinely funny and relevant jokes that keep the viewer engaged and entertained. 

Another way it manages the complexity of the plot is by using celebrities in different scenarios as analogies and to help explain the most complex issues of the movie. From Margot Robbie in a bathtub or Selena Gomez in a casino, not only are the celebrity appearances fun and offer a quick break from the actual movie, but they also do a great job at explaining the advanced financial tools and terminology referenced in the movie. This is a really unique choice made by Adam McKay, the director of the film, and one I honestly don’t think I’ve seen in any other movie. Most directors would be scared to take this unconventional approach of taking breaks from the normal plot and scenes to incorporate the celebrity appearances, but I find they help provide a good balance to the overall seriousness of the rest of the movie and combined with the humor make it a great movie for anyone. 

While “The Big Short” is certainly a very entertaining and interesting movie, it is also a very meaningful movie to me. It does a great job of showcasing a range of perspectives during the financial crisis and the impact it had on these different people. It showed the harsh realities that many faced of losing their home, struggling to provide for their families, etc. It shows the moral struggles the investors faced and backlash they initially received despite eventually making millions – if not billions – of dollars. Finally, it shows how the majority of the bankers and politicians responsible for causing the crisis got away free of any repercussions. 

This movie helped get me interested in economics and markets and I was fascinated by the depth of the financial systems that exist. I began looking into investing and in fact Michael Burry, the main investor depicted in the movie, quickly became someone I idolized and followed. Today, I am continuing this interest through my studies in college and following markets and Michael Burry still remains one of my favorite people to look to for advice or ideas.