RCL 6

For my Evolving Ideas project, I will be showcasing the story and evolution of the stock market. The stock market has evolved and changed greatly over the years to get to the place it is at today. I plan to cover a range of topics. I will cover the invention of different financial instruments such as mutual funds and derivatives and the effect they’ve had. I will cover the evolution of how people have been able to invest in stocks. From receiving physical stock certificates at banks or exchanges to now tapping a button or two on a mobile app. 

I think this is an important story to be told because the stock market plays a massive role in the world economy and is a pillar of financial systems. I think it can often be taken for granted today how simple and accessible the stock market and all its financial instruments have become. However, behind that the stock market and the finance industry that surrounds it is very complex and intricate and has changed drastically to get to where it is today. 

With a greater understanding of this evolution, people can get a better sense of the value of the stock market and the role it plays in the world. Furthermore, it can encourage people to invest in the market and even make use of some of the more modern financial instruments that I will talk about which could help each individual get a more personalized experience with investing. 

I’ve been very interested in the stock market for many years. I think it’s very fascinating to see the role it plays in society and the economy and the effect it has. Due to my interest in the stock market, I think it is important and also intriguing to explore and better understand how the systems we have today came to be and what it was like in the past. 

I am still not totally sure where I plan to start. I think a couple good options could be with the Amsterdam Stock Exchange which was the first stock exchange back in the 17th century. Another good option would be with the beginning of the New York Stock Exchange in 1792 which really kickstarted the popularity of the stock market. 

The book I found from the library is simply titled The Stock Market. It is written by Rik Hafer and Scott Hein. This book offers a lot of valuable information including a history of the US Stock Market as well as recent innovations in the stock market. I think it is a reputable source because it cites many other sources that the authors compiled information from and it incorporates a lot of data and numbers which are generally harder to manipulate.