Well, Color Me Healthy!!!

cmh-logo

“Color Me Healthy” is a fun, interactive program designed to encourage children ages 4 and 5 to learn to eat healthy and to be more active. The program emphasizes the uses of children’s senses. Bright colors, fun music, tactile objects, scents all stimulate their senses. The web site, http://colormehealthy.com/, has links to recipes, music to get kids dancing (while discouraging TV time), ideas on physical activity and a newsletter for free. The newsletter reaches out to families in a series of 14 newsletters that reinforce the messages that the children are learning in the classroom. Instructors have the option to purchase classroom materials on the site as well. There are 12 lessons, posters, CD’s with songs, hand stampers as a reward for the children and posters for the parents.

Originally developed by the North Carolina State University in partnership with the North Carolina Department of Health’s Physical Activity and Nutrition Branch. Color Me Healthy was designed to be used in family daycare homes, Head Start classrooms, child care centers and could be used in some kindergarten classrooms. However, with the newsletters and the resources available on the Color Me Healthy website, the impact stretches into the home.

According to the website, more than 50,000 childcare providers are using the Color Me Happy Program across the country with positive success. This program is appropriately geared toward the intended audience. The children have a fun experience while learning about eating healthy and being active.

-kmm257

8 thoughts on “Well, Color Me Healthy!!!

1. mln5130

Color Me Healthy is a great way for children to start learning how to eat healthy and become active. Children love playing all the time so this program is a good for increasing their physical activity. Children also like to color so they can be coloring and learning at the same time. This program can help children prevent obesity now and for years to come. I think this program will benefit each child and each child will learn something about eating healthy and each habit they develop now, will carry on in the future for years to come.

1. kmm257 Post author

I love the idea of this program. Anytime you can incorporate fun into learning, involvement goes up and retention of the message goes up. Preschools use song to teach nearly everything, from cleaning-up, the days of the week and washing your hands. Why not incorporate a health message into song as well. Studies show it works on this age group! I love that the message gets sent home to the parents as well.

2. mmk5343

Color Me Healthy is another great way to encourage children to eat healthy! Childhood obesity is such a major problem in our world today but upcoming programs like this one are a really great tool to turn this epidemic around. Incorporating bright colors and including music to get kids dancing are excellent ways to make kids get up and get moving. The free newsletter is a great tool for parents to read and talk to their kids about. If parents use this program they can become more educated and involved to making their children live a healthier life. The fact that the program can be used in homes is the best feature of it. We are now making it more convenient than ever to get nutrition education regardless of where you are.
    I am so happy programs like Color Me Healthy are coming about in hopes of making a positive change in childhood obesity.

1. kmm257 Post author

I love the newsletter to parents idea. It gets the parents thinking about how to reenforce positive messages their children are learning at preschool and how they can incorporate it into their home life. Keeping the program fun for the kids is key and yes, with the bright colors and songs, kids will love it. I’ve babysat kids before and a few hours later I’m still singing “the wheels on the bus go round and round…” These fun songs have a lasting impression on children as well.

3. knk5124

Color Me Healthy sounds like a great program for children and their parents. I feel that this program is an excellent way to get children to eat healthy and be more active. I feel that engaging in this program, not only will children eat healthy but they will want to eat healthy. Using bright colors, fun music, and tactile objects will make the child more interest in these healthy foods and will be fun for the child. I really like the fact that this program can take place at home. If a child doesn’t go to day care and just has a grandparent or caregiver watch them when their parents work, they are still able to participate in this program. I feel that Color Me Healthy is a great option!

1. kmm257 Post author

Kids love color! I love that this program encourages kids to choose bright colors when they eat. Reenforcing the message with fun songs and dance is a great way to ensure a longer lasting impact on the child and the family. When a kid comes home singing a song, the parents ask about it. Now the healthy message has transferred and spread. I would hope that seeing a child that is interested in health options would encourage a parent to make healthier options for their child.

4. slm5722

Color Me Healthy sounds like a wonderful kickstart for young children’s development of healthy eating habits and physical activity levels! What seems to make this program uniquely effective is the stimulation of multiple senses. Young children, in particular, require fun and memorable learning techniques to capture and keep their attention. By incorporating singing and dancing, hands on activities, and more, the program effectively imparts valuable knowledge in a subtle, yet meaningful way. Moreover, I believe parents and educators benefit from the variety of tips, tools, materials, and recipes found on the website. This program is certainly comprehensive and designed to educate and inspire both children and their caretakers. Cool!

1. kmm257 Post author

I really believe that the earlier we start teaching healthy habits, the more likely they are to stick. Also, the more fun we make them, the greater the chances of success. You are right in that children in this age group really do learn with all of their senses. Singing, dancing, and games incorporate them all. This was a well planned program. It not only attempts to educate and influence the children’s behaviors, but it also lends information to the parents.