History of a Public Controversy: Behind the Scenes

One problem that my group seems to be having with the History of a Public Controversy Project is organizing all of our information. We weren’t quite sure how to take a stance for fracking, instead of against it, as most documentaries have chosen to. However, after a talk with Kyle this morning and introductions to a few helpful videos, I think that we have figured out our dilemma!

Instead of beginning our video with the clichéd explanation slide full of facts and statistics, we have decided to open with a scene from the movie “Gasland”, during which a man lights his faucet water on fire. This scene would then lead into the horrible aspects of fracking and eventually, into the future of the industry. By focusing on the harmful effects of fracking in the beginning, we will shape the history of the fracking controversy and then introduce steps that have been taken to show that fracking and its future really are helpful and good things.

Matt has interviewed the C.E.O. of a big fracking company, and his interview will really help to shape the end of our documentary because the interview focuses on the positive aspects of the industry. I hope that this approach works, but only time and experimentation will tell! I think that the entire group feels better now that we have a solid direction into which we are heading.

This entry was posted in WIP and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.