Speeches

I thought the speeches were for the most part were good. There are a lot of areas that we can all obviously improve in. I thought my speech was good. I’m glad that I practiced for it. Usually, I would have been to arrogant to practice but I convinced myself to practice and it paid off. I felt great up there and the entire speech felt smooth rolling off my tongue. The only part that I was disappointed with at myself was the conclusion. My conclusion was bland and I didn’t really know how to end it. I felt like it was patched together. As for my look into the rhetoric for my artifact I thought I did a good job. Yes, I could have maybe expanded on how the comic persuaded the readers but I felt as if that persuasion was inherent and could be picked up at a glance.

As for the class I thought everyone did well. I do think that some people felt memorized. They sounded great but it didn’t feel natural. Extemperaoneous presentations feel like they should be more freestyle than slam poetry. But besides the rigidness some people had, they all did well. For the most part all the artifacts were well presented and analyzed. My favorite presentation was probably Romans. I thought he did a great job in the whole “freestyle” part of the speech. It caught your attention, the way he used his hands and moved around. You can tell that he had energy and his enthusiasm was infectious. You wanted to pay attention. If there is anything that all of us could improve on it would enthusiasm. The more we look/act like we enjoy being up there talking in front of thirty people we barely know, the better response we will get form the audience and the better our performances will be.

This was my first time having to do a speech without writing it out completely and it was an interesting change. I was definitely more nervous but I felt looser up on stage, because I wasn’t really hindered by a script. However, I prefer written speeches because then you can manipulate every word and make it sound just the way you want it to. It’s a lot harder to pull at someone’s heart strings off the top of your head.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Speeches

1. Emma Goodson says:

I think you’re right about needing more enthusiasm. It makes the speech so much more intriguing if the speaker is so consumed by the topic and so excited to share what they have to say about it. Really good review of the speeches overall.

2. Lori Bedell says:

I really appreciate this assessment. Really thoughtful. Yes… watch writing mechanics.

3. Alex says:

I really enjoyed your speech. Using a comic as your artifact was definitely out of the box; I did not expect that at all. Your delivery was also solid. Although I don’t remember exactly how you concluded your speech, at least you recognize that it’s something that you need to work on for next time. I also agree that I prefer explicitly written speeches. Not necessarily speeches that sound formal, but speeches that are more prepared. I believe that a good speaker can make even a prepared speech conversational and casual if needed. Personally, I know that I’m not always good at spewing ideas off the top of my head, so that’s probably why I feel more comfortable with written speeches. However, I was still glad that this class forced me to go outside my comfort and try something new.

Good post, but again, like your passion blog, watch those grammar mechanics. Great speech also! I truly enjoyed it.