Antoni Gaudí

Last week’s post dealt with the rich history and independent spirit of Cataluña, and this week I want to continue on the topic by talking about one of the most famous people to hail from the region and who is still an indelible presence in Barcelona to this day: Antoni Gaudí.

Gaudí wasn’t a native Barcelonan but rather was born in 1852 in Tarragona, a town a bit farther South in Cataluña. He suffered from poor health as a child, and was therefore often confined to sedentary activities, such as observing nature and drawing in his sketchbook. He also was raised to be deeply religious, and this clearly influenced his work.

In 1868 he moved to Barcelona and began to study architecture at Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura. Gaudí was by no means an extraordinary student; he often skipped class to attend lecture in other fields, as he believe that architectural styles were not a product of aesthetic ideas, but rather the social and political climate. Regardless, he eventually got his diploma and set up his own firm.

A few months later, Gaudí met who would turn out to be a lifelong friend and invaluable supporter of his career: industrialist Eusebi Güell i Bacigalupi. Here are a few of his most salient works, many of which were sponsored by Güell.

100_2090

Gaudí designed Parc Güell’s physical structures, including these two houses. He also designed a Palacio Güell, again sponsored by his friend and partner.

100_2037

The design of Casa Batlló was inspired by the legend of St. George fighting a dragon. The columns and balconies are supposed to resemble a skeleton.

100_2046

Gaudí deeply upset his neighbors by building Casa Milá. They thought it was hideous and called it “La Pedrera,” or “stone quarry.”

As Gaudí developed as an artist, he began to withdraw from people and become even more religious. As he approached the end of his life, he devoted all of his time to La Sagrada Familia (The Holy Family), a gargantuan cathedral and his obra maestra. Even though he was well-aware that he would not live to see it finished, Gaudí left highly detailed plans. He was only ever able to see one tower built, as he died in 1926 from injuries sustained in a tram accident. Currently there are eight towers completed, and Gaudí’s plan calls for 18 (and the tallest has yet to be built.)

100_2053

This picture was taken in June 2012. It only shows one of the three intricate faces of the church, all of which depict a different phase in the life of Jesus. As you can see, La Sagrada Familia is still under construction. Gaudí was actually buried inside the cathedral partway through its construction, which began in 1882. The city of Barcelona hopes to finish it by 2026, commemorating 100 years since the death of Antoni Gaudí. Remarkably, the construction is funded entirely by private donors and the millions of people who visit every year. After seeing it in partial splendor, it’s not hard to understand the motivation to see it completed.

If you would like to see some better photos, look here.

2 thoughts on “Antoni Gaudí

1. I absolutely LOVE this. I’m very much interested in art and design, and as soon as I saw his style of work I new I loved it. He’s got such unique designs and the idea that he believed architecture took root in social and political climates rather than studying previous designs, which I see as a good point, sets him apart from the rest. I will definitely be looking into him. Thanks for sharing!

2. I’ve been lucky enough to go to Barcelona my self and see all of these places. They are truly incredible pieces of work. La Sagrada Familia was probably my favorite thing I saw in all of Spain. I was amazed by how they were recreating the story of Jesus by carving scenes around the outside walls of the building. Truly incredible.